ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, I could never punch @digitS' . He's too soft for that. Besides I don't think he looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Although he could be warm and cuddly.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This thread is making me feel like I need to let my inner Kitchen Goddess out to make bread. I guess I'll have to get the grain mill out, open up a bucket of wheat and get one of those vac-sealed bags, rip it open and get to milling some fresh whole wheat flour. While I'm at it, I'll make some cornmeal. @thistlebloom I didn't plant Painted Mountain corn last year, good thing or I'd of lost my seed, but I am gonna plant some this year!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope that you don't feel the knead to punch me down!

Throwing wrye comments and innuendough isn't likely to add any leavening to the forum! Given my baked-in scensetivities, I should be handled gingerly, man!

Besides, where's the proof?

Steve

Haha! You're a nut!
Oh! A Nutty buddy! But that has nothing to do with bread.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mentioned this somewhere, recently. Interested in slowing the quick conversion of bread starches to sugar? Think you would be okay with a purple "white" bread?

cnn.it/1RpNyRw

I've had experience with "black rice." Actually, I didn't find that it contributes much more than color to white rice. A sophisticated palate? Not really ...

Steve
IMG_20160327_110853448.jpg

I used the simplest "white bread" recipe I could find. This time from the "GH 'All-American' Cookbook" (1987). I soaked the black rice from the Asian market with water just enough to cover. Poured off 1 cup of the water after 12 hours and substituted for half the 2 cups of milk in the recipe.

IMG_20160327_112727185.jpg
not the best picture because of bright lights and shadows

It came out more "pinkish" brown than purple. Maybe I need a no-milk recipe and just use the black rice water for 100% of the liquid. Have enough black rice to give it another try ...

As I suspected, I can't detect any "different" flavor. Butter!

;) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could use all rice water and no milk in your bread recipe Steve. As I understand it, the contribution milk makes, besides the obvious nutritional value, is a milder flavored bread, and possibly a finer grained loaf. Water alone will make for a more distinctly wheat flavored loaf.

Latest posts