Fresh Raw Honey!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
jomoncon said:
I recently "discovered" fresh, raw honey! Someone had an ad on craigslist for raw honey at $10 a quart. I bought one, and I couldn't believe the difference! I think the quart lasted about a week and just had to have more. I don't think I'll ever go back to store-bought honey again.
Besides local honey just tasting so much better, many times honey that you buy commercially is imported from China, via other countries, so the origin is "unknown" but they cut it with corn syrup, sugar, what have you, in China, and no one knows. So in addition to not getting the allergy-fighting benefits of local honey, you're not even getting real honey!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Congratulations! What a great haul! And the fact that your son came to help you is an extra blessing. I think that I will have to search out "raw honey" and see what I come up with in our area.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
jomoncon said:
I recently "discovered" fresh, raw honey! Someone had an ad on craigslist for raw honey at $10 a quart. I bought one, and I couldn't believe the difference! I think the quart lasted about a week and just had to have more. I don't think I'll ever go back to store-bought honey again.
Besides local honey just tasting so much better, many times honey that you buy commercially is imported from China, via other countries, so the origin is "unknown" but they cut it with corn syrup, sugar, what have you, in China, and no one knows. So in addition to not getting the allergy-fighting benefits of local honey, you're not even getting real honey!
We have this discussion every now and then at our beekeeping meetings. Someone gave a report on this topic last winter and if my memory is correct they said that commercial honey jars can have a "pure honey" label even if it's only 50% honey and the rest non-honey fillers. Seems strange in today's world of food product label laws.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, I found a really interesting article on alduterated honey on the net a few months ago, but of course I can't find it now. But, yes, depending on where the honey originates, the laws aren't enforced, if there are any, regarding labeling. Then the honey gets sold, blended, reprocessed, some of the markers removed that would identify it, sold again. Bottom line is that we are much better off buying honey grown in our own neck of the woods.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the members of our bee group bought a "honey bear" of honey from a drug store for 1 dollar. It was labeled "honey". We tasted it- and I am telling you it had no flavor at all...not even artificial- it was just a clear liquid. I would bet it was karo syrup... Even some of your local beekeepers will feed with corn syrup- so best to ask.

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Smiles said:
so lucky said:
jomoncon said:
We have this discussion every now and then at our beekeeping meetings. Someone gave a report on this topic last winter and if my memory is correct they said that commercial honey jars can have a "pure honey" label even if it's only 50% honey and the rest non-honey fillers. Seems strange in today's world of food product label laws.
I was reading this post to my DH and he asked an interesting question: How long will raw honey last in a jar, stored in a cool, dark location? Is there any special way I should store it? I've bought the honey in glass quart jars and recently in sealed gallon plastic jugs, like a milk jug. I transferred it from the gallon jug to glass quart jars, keeping 1 in the kitchen for use, and the others in my pantry.
Jo-Ann

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Honey has been found in pyramids that was still good! But, if it has too much moisture can ferment (taken on a day with high humidy or not all capped honey). Most raw honey is fine in the jars for years.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations on the honey haul retired! I haven't been on TEG for a few days and just saw your post! So you got 6 gallons off one hive?! How many supers were on the hive? Holy Cats!

Sis and I are going to check our hives this weekend - I'm anxious to see what they have been up to. I can't wait to get honey from ours.

I had my bee club meeting last night and one of the members gave a seminar on plants that bees love. He was very knowledgeable about plants. He was a charming old fella with a long snowy beard and wore overalls! He gave out plant cuttings and seeds from his yard.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice harvest Retired!
This has been an enlightening thread, I never knew they could cut the honey with other ingredients and still label it "pure". That's just scary. I'll be buying from local beeks from now on.

Latest posts