friend or foe?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks a lot to me like fringed bleeding heart. Exima.
But after looking at "wild carrot" images it resembles that also.

Wild carrot is also known as Queen Annes Lace, which I happen to like.
I know it can spread, but it's not a menace here. A sniff test should be able to determine if that's what it is. It will smell carrotty.
That was on my "could it be?" list too. Several years ago I picked up a yellow bleeding heart from the 'it's dead but we'll still take $2 for it' bin at the nursery. I planted it in that pine area - several feet away from where this is. Like 6-8'. Could it have spread like that????
I don't go in there very often.. because the dogs "Go" in there all the time. So.. maybe there are more little ones and .. maybe this one just got big because it's right on the edge and gets more light????

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was on my "could it be?" list too. Several years ago I picked up a yellow bleeding heart from the 'it's dead but we'll still take $2 for it' bin at the nursery. I planted it in that pine area - several feet away from where this is. Like 6-8'. Could it have spread like that????
I don't go in there very often.. because the dogs "Go" in there all the time. So.. maybe there are more little ones and .. maybe this one just got big because it's right on the edge and gets more light????

Maybe! Wouldn't that be fun?

Do you mean yellow foliage, or yellow blooms?
Bleeding hearts like shade, and woodland shade is their favorite habitat.

The fringed bleeding heart do spread. I find them in all sorts of unexpected places at one of my jobs. I scoop them up and replant them in one area together. I'm trying to get a big colony going. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found images on Google for both bleeding heart and wild carrot roots. Dig it up. If it has bleeding heart roots put it somewhere safe from the chickens. If it's a wild carrot, compost it. You said if it was a good plant you'd need to move it anyway.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe! Wouldn't that be fun?

Do you mean yellow foliage, or yellow blooms?
Bleeding hearts like shade, and woodland shade is their favorite habitat.

The fringed bleeding heart do spread. I find them in all sorts of unexpected places at one of my jobs. I scoop them up and replant them in one area together. I'm trying to get a big colony going. :)

The tag said it was supposed to have yellow flowers. It had mostly brown foliage at the time.

I'm just going to let it be for a while. If it blooms, then I'll know to move it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooooook - pretty sure it's going to turn out to be Queen Anne's Lace. I just noticed a bunch of the same leaves on the other side of the property and I know there was a patch of QAL there last summer.
bummer.

Latest posts