From large to small.....for now

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not gonna "rush" it........Gonna eeeeease back into diggin' in da dirt. This is the "start" and current pics of it.......

6615_904.jpg
6615_551.jpg

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
if you can get it, i think well rotted horse manure is fabulous too. last year i had a source & my tomatoes acted like they were on steroids. i couldn't eat enough, freeze enough, give away enough. even with the chickens gobbling what they could reach, there was so much. i had never had a successful tomato crop in my life before. might never again.
no horse manure this year, but chicken manure now. i can't wait to see how that stuff works. just have to let it "cook" awhile.

i like your beds, they're off to a great start

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perfect! Chicken poop makes a huge difference! One of the many reasons to have chickens!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are those your collards, Boggy?

I am really kicking myself! Last year I tried growing Portuguese kale. It did great!

That was the first I'd ever grown this relative of collards. I am pretty sure that I've tried to grow collards, a long time ago and without success. Portugal would just about be on the Mason-Dixon line if it was in the US. Maybe that is why the Portuguese kale turned out well here.

Kicking myself? I forgot to order seeds for this year. I've checked around locally and seed isn't available. I've got plenty of Scotch kale started. That is another sister to collards. I will just have to be happy with that in 2013.

Steve

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Are those your collards, Boggy?

I am really kicking myself! Last year I tried growing Portuguese kale. It did great!

That was the first I'd ever grown this relative of collards. I am pretty sure that I've tried to grow collards, a long time ago and without success. Portugal would just about be on the Mason-Dixon line if it was in the US. Maybe that is why the Portuguese kale turned out well here.

Kicking myself? I forgot to order seeds for this year. I've checked around locally and seed isn't available. I've got plenty of Scotch kale started. That is another sister to collards. I will just have to be happy with that in 2013.

Steve
I bought plants from the local seed & feed store where I get the chicken feed. The only things I've started from seed is the Cherokee Purple tomatoes and the Crooked Neck squash, so far.........

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chicken manure delivers a huge nitrogen punch that is perfect for plants like tomatoes, greens and particularly the soil-depleting corn. It is a good general fertilizer, and it will boost the growth and development of most vegetables, herbs and flowers.

Latest posts