Frost on it's way?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Get ready for dry beans to go up in price.
Yes. Stocking up now would be a good idea. Not only to ride out a price spike, but because there is no telling where the economy will be at next year. Having a nice supply of dried beans, lentils and splits peas will not hurt you one darn bit.

As we take more acres out of production into housing, we become much more dependent upon other people.
This isn't a new problem. I remember long heated discussions about this in my home town of Wausau, WI. Year after year farmer's were forced to sell valuable crop land due to rising taxes or inheritance taxes if one of the farm couple died. 30 years later and the same thing is still happening. Are we finally at a crisis point?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Will we see the day where governments force us back into cities/small towns so that the small acreage houses go back to tillable acres?
If we bow down to the UN we will see the day. The United Nations has what is called "Commission on Sustainable Development, CSD-19" and it is extremely disturbing and frightening. Just Google sustainable development or Agenda 21 and you will see tons of info.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've been at a crisis point for many years. Of course, it comes to terms like this when a lot of farm land goes to corn for syrup!

There is a plot of land right across the road from us that I would LOVE to own. It's right about 50 acres. Someone bought an acre and built a very lovely brick home on it, but I would looooooove for their back yard to be some hay or cattle! ;)

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can get some row cover for the hardier plants and maybe get another week or so!

The row cover might come in handy in the spring as well if you take it in for the winter.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
*sigh* yes it's calling for a low of 34 on Saturday night here, I'm going to bring in some of my pots and cover the garden. Well, hubby is, since I'll be working in the evening!! I'm still fighting to get every usable veggie out of that garden!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am JUST NOW getting cucumbers and zucchini. I have frost blankets so i will pull those out. I shouldnt need them this week according to the forecast, but who knows?!?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We just harvested a ton of our beans for Territorial Seed Company. We could have had double if it weren't for the deer. I began singing this childhood tune with my own words,
"Deer, deer the magical fruit
The more tehy eat, the more you shoot
The more you shoot
the better your fields
So kill as many deer as you can."

Yes i know the last line doesn't rhyme, but I am so sick of them!

I think we are going to continue to see food prices go up. If folks aren't growing what they can, they may be sorry!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is a farm in my town for sale 181 acres!!! $1.6 million... would I love to have that... just think of how self-sufficent you could be on that much land...it'll probably be bought up and have houses on it in the next year or two...

Latest posts