Frozen Pies ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about the food transportation system while I was having brunch. If it becomes more restricted and costly, more local fruit will have to be preserved. So, my thoughts naturally turned to pie ;).

Okay, with the cherry pie from the soopermarket, I was having a banana (& coffee :). I remember standing in a US harbor during the 70's and seeing a ship offloading bananas while another ship waited to move into the docks, with a third ship just coming into the bay ..!

The cherries were no doubt local. The crust was the usual poor quality, store-bought 🙄. We cook and freeze pumpkin pies most every year. How about a fruit pie?

Top crust. So, would it be best to freeze it cooked or uncooked?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about the food transportation system while I was having brunch. If it becomes more restricted and costly, more local fruit will have to be preserved. So, my thoughts naturally turned to pie ;).

Okay, with the cherry pie from the soopermarket, I was having a banana (& coffee :). I remember standing in a US harbor during the 70's and seeing a ship offloading bananas while another ship waited to move into the docks, with a third ship just coming into the bay ..!

The cherries were no doubt local. The crust was the usual poor quality, store-bought 🙄. We cook and freeze pumpkin pies most every year. How about a fruit pie?

Top crust. So, would it be best to freeze it cooked or uncooked?

Steve

we're just not much on pie crusts here so the fillings are all great to me, but we find other ways to use them. putting them up, canning for sure. not that much room in the freezer.

if you can dry fruits i think those are really good for making fillings too or what i do with them is use them in my morning oatmeals. we just stocked up on tart cherries again which to me are a bargain at about $6/lb, i can eat those quite often and have to restrain myself into having them only once or twice a week. they also go really well in chocolate chiip cookies (with or without walnuts aka female or male cookies).

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I freeze mine unbaked, pull it from the freezer to sit on the counter while the oven preheats. I seem to remember my mother par-baking the bottom crust on fruit pies for the freezer when I was little, but don't quote me on that one.

Grocery prices here are going way, way up, very quickly. Manufacturers can't get employees, and then they can't get product, so not as much is getting sent out, and then the stores push the price up on it because of supply and demand. The stores that order from a warehouse instead of directly from the producers have a little bit more of a cushion, but it is coming everywhere.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We bought another freezer in 2020 - a small one and it replaces the little one we took over to DD's.

I think that we will try that with some of the more perishable fruits, @Prairie Rose .

Now, since I'm a terrible crust maker, to convince DW to make them. I can stir up the filling and she especially likes blueberry. Raspberry with tapioca sounds good! A larger raspberry patch: Why Not?

Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made a raspberry cherry pie with tapioca last week Steve, and it was wonderful! Next year I am planning on adding strawberries or blueberries and putting several in the deep freeze. There's nothing like a pie made with in-season summer fruit in the middle of a winter snowstorm!

Latest posts