FRUGAL tip for staking tomatoes

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As we all know, tomato cages just don't cut it, especially when we're dealing with indeterminate tomato varieties.

So, I went to my nearby Lowe's to buy some wooden stakes to support my tomato plants as they grow 'IN' the cages. I even put in 5 nails, at different spacings, in each stake to securely attach the plant to the stake as it grows.

Anyway, I was in Lowe's garden section, and they had 6 ft., 1/2" x 1/2 " stakes that they were selling for something like $6.95/each!"
(I DON'T THINK SO -- especially since I've got '28' tomato plants!!!!!!) So, I went to the lumber section and bought 1-1/2" by 8 ft. pieces of wood for ONLY $0.62/each!!!!! I did cut off a foot so that 6 feet is still ABOVE ground for these indeterminates (AND, in order to 'reach' to pound them in the ground!)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you! It really makes me mad, when they are so obviously ripping us off!!! Now, you will be all set...Happy bargain hunting and gardening!

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I build bird houses and garden furniture. I use the same material to build little tomato trelisis (sp?). Dont cost me any money at all as I use reclaimed privacy fence. Well, I guess there is the cost of the nails.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
good deal! I grow bamboo then thin it for the garden trellis and bean poles ... but I have no creative ability when it comes to making pretty things for my tomatoes and beans to grow on ..so I just make a sturdy mess of poles and string..and let the vines cover it

I call it "rustic" design :lol:

post pictures if you can I would like to see how you stake up your tomatoes

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue and couldn't afford cages so I did the same thing. I purchased 8 2"X2"s and need to purchase more, but they work great.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make it a point to spend as little money as possible in the bgarden. Im eyeing a nearby stand of bamboo this year for a trellis framework.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm recycling some chain link fencing that someone gave me. Its sturdy and I can tie maters on either side. If I want to move it, I will just knock out the posts and drag it to another bed for a crop rotation next year.

Latest posts