Fruit trees from cuttings?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am wondering which types of fruit trees can be started from cuttings. I have 2 old pear trees and a mulberry tree that are in really bad shape. They haven't been pruned for years, they have peeling bark in some places and the mulberry is has a big rotten looking spot in the trunk (huge, like half of the trunk!) We are going to prune them but I'm not sure they will survive much longer. Can I take cuttings from them to start new trees? What about other types of fruit trees?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
fruit trees like peaches, pears and apples don't root well enough to start them from cuttings. if you are trying to multiply them you'd want to graft them onto rootstock to get a jump start with them. i'm not sure on the elderberry if you could try and get the cutting to root with hormone powder or gel, or if there i a way to graft it.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32805 this was a thread i started about some places to find interesting varieties of fruit trees. there are very few places to find rootstock for grafting but they are out there! FedCo in ME is one of them, RainTree over on the west coast is another, and there is one in NY but i need to find that site again. also, there are a lot of methods for grafting tree. check on YouTube for videos of how to do it and how to multiply the rootstock.