Fun and Easy Garden Signs

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I decided I needed to label some of my plants better. I didn't want to spend money on those cheap plastic plant labels, and I didn't want to shell out some big bucks for the nice copper ones I've seen. But what could I do to make them easy, special and cost effective?

A neighbor gave us some 1"x3" pieces of wood, some kind of trim pieces they never did use.

We cut them up into pieces either 4" long or 6" long. Going to get some 8" for my Orchard trees later.

Sanded all the pieces down, and wrote the plant name with a black sharpie marker. Then when dry I used a deck stain with sealant I've been using on all my raised beds and on my arbor (also eventually the deck).

The finished signs either got 2 holes drilled into them to run wire through so I could hang them, or I used landscape staples and used a staple gun to keep on. Then I put those into the ground around their corrisponding plants.

It was a fun project, and I have more to do... but I wanted to share in case anyone wanted to use the idea.

(You're thinking like I haven't had enough projects to keep me busy! LOL)

signs1.jpg

signs2.jpg

signs3.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband cut me a pile of these wood signs I am still working on. I just sit and sand them while I'm outside sitting with my daughter. Then as I get new plants I make a few and stain them. They are just sitting out there waiting for me to finish what I've started... but so far everyone has stopped to tell me how nice they look in my yard, and my neighbor asked he could borrow the idea already! LOL

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is off the subject but can you take a better picture of the frames over your raised beds? I need something to hold my plastic off the vegetables.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
This is off the subject but can you take a better picture of the frames over your raised beds? I need something to hold my plastic off the vegetables.
I have several shots over in my blog

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

My husband made them by stripping down 2x4s into 1" strips. You can buy the strips in this size at home depot and such, but they are usually not 'treated' so seal them.

To bed the boards soak them in water for at least 30 minutes so the wood doesn't snap when you bend them. Then hold them all together on another strip using screws and nuts. I need to tighten mine.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Right now I am using white duct tape on the end of a bamboo bbq stick :p

Maybe I will upgrade when I move stuff outside.
I'm using popsicle sticks...I think you and I are out of our league here! :ep

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a sheet of plywood hanging around. I could cut it into a bunch of those, and post them around the yard with plant names and fun stuff, like Taggart Transcontinental or Reardon Steel, or d'Anconia Copper.