Fun With Mealworms

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally got some wild birds coming to a mealworm feeder on my back deck. Several bluebirds live in my yard, and they have found the mealworms. Also a tiny wren living in a gourd under the stairs. He makes more noise than all the bluebirds combined. My chickens gobble the mealworms down without even looking. At least the wild birds pause and enjoy the ambiance, and savor each morsel. Sort of like the French and Italians eat, I suppose. :D

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have bluebirds at our lot. I havr left mealworms for them but never got o see them take any. (I am sure they did, just missed it.) But the Wrens !!! We always have several nesting around the yard, I LOVE them. Such a sound from a tiny bird. They LOVE the mealworms.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are easy to keep a colony going too that way you'll have an endless supply of mealworms. There is a lot of info on how to keep them on the net. They've got a pretty short reproductive cycle so you'll always have them handy.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup. Even my 5 year old grand daughter is raising mealworms for her chickens.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember my daughter raised some for a school project- she spent quite a bit of time trying to convince me they were cute!! I love the little wrens, too.

Latest posts