Fungus Amungus!

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
There is a fungus growing outside of my raised beds that I have never seen before. It is also in a couple spots in the yard. My biggest concern is my dog, who loves to eat all things.

What is it?
And how do I get rid of it without making my dog sick or killing my veggies?

kthanks!
h
image.jpeg
image2.jpeg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd do as Nyboy said. Hoe it out. Bleach will kill it. Just sent pix to my agronomist. C if he knows. Smartest agronomist I've ever known.

Last edited:

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
can you just dig it out ?
It seems to uproot easily, but I'm worried about it spreading. It has already traveled to other parts of the yard without me doing anything to it. I'm thinking it's a bigger problem and may need to be treated chemically :(.

Literally NO ONE knows what this darn stuff is.
It's killing me :hit

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'd do as Nyboy said. Hoe it out. Bleach will kill it. Just sent pix to my agronomist. C if he knows. Smartest agronomist I've ever known.
OK thanks!
And yeah, if we can't figure it out for sure, I'll likely dig it out.
I'm just afraid of spreading it more and making it worse lol.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It appears to be in its button stage. Maybe easier to tell when it matures. I will ask on my mushroom group. Fungi are usually not a bad thing in and of themselves. It won't hurt your veggies, but the conditions that favor its growth may. Perhaps too wet of an area and probably too much wood in the soil (ties up nitrogen as it breaks down.) The mushroom is there to decompose it. Probably rode in on your mulch or compost. If you think the dog would eat it, then you might dig it out. Drying the area up would help make it go away too (or at least quit fruiting.)

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It appears to be in its button stage. Maybe easier to tell when it matures. I will ask on my mushroom group. Fungi are usually not a bad thing in and of themselves. It won't hurt your veggies, but the conditions that favor its growth may. Perhaps too wet of an area and probably too much wood in the soil (ties up nitrogen as it breaks down.) The mushroom is there to decompose it. Probably rode in on your mulch or compost. If you think the dog would eat it, then you might dig it out. Drying the area up would help make it go away too (or at least quit fruiting.)
Good info, thanks!
I'll wait to hear from you and your mushroom guy too!

Thanks everyone!
Looking forward to getting rid of these darn things!

h

Latest posts