Funny Face Salad

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The other day I found two tiny tomatoes in the garden! I used them in this salad.

Feb242009SaladFaceemail.jpg

My Bronze leaf lettuce is very dark this year. The tomatoes are between three egg slices (eggs from the store, I haven't tried to boil any of my own eggs yet)
Anyhow when I finished putting the salad together, it looked like a face.
Are those tiny tomatoes or what?

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is very pretty

When you do your own eggs you will not want to eat store bought. Give it a try.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
That is very pretty

When you do your own eggs you will not want to eat store bought. Give it a try.
Oh, we do eat our eggs, I just haven't tried to hard boil any, since I hear they are very hard to peel. I agree they do taste better and have wonderful orange yolks!! Here is my second double yolker, and see how orange the yolks are!!

DoubleYolkerinbowl21809email.jpg

I do have another photo here of my first double yolker compared to a store bought egg.

Feb10Doubleyolksemail.jpg

You can see the difference in the freshness of the home grown egg as compared to the store bought one.

ajsgramma

Sprout
Reaction score
Rebbetzin, my 6 yr old grandson would love that salad. Think I'll try one like it tonight when he eats with us. Thanks for a great idea.
(((((HUGS))))), Verna

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ajsgramma said:
Rebbetzin, my 6 yr old grandson would love that salad. Think I'll try one like it tonight when he eats with us. Thanks for a great idea.
(((((HUGS))))), Verna
I love making fun food, especially for kids!! My grand kids are in Missouri!! So... I have to do fun things for my husband.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
homesteadmom said:
I have trouble peeling store bought ones sometimes too. I think it justs depends on the egg itself.
Hi,

VERY cute salad. My child is 12 and 1/2, but I think she will still get a kick out of this. Is that a mushroom for a nose?

Um, I think the reason your fresh home-eggs are hard to peel is because they are fresh. Let them stand in fridge 2 weeks or so, then hard boil them. Give it a try. The taste is still out of this world. Peel them under a little running water too, it helps. :)

I know that in my house hold we can't do this because fresh eggs are in such high demand. We WATCH our 3 hens (go into their coop to lay) for first dibs on their eggs! (I know, I know, we need a few more chickens, believe me, I have been looking for the right ones. I like them to be all different breeds, so I can tell them apart.:D)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guaranteed to work: bring your pan of water to the boil. Gently lower in the freshly laid eggs. Boil for 15-17 minutes, depending on the size (those big jumbo eggs our girls lay take a bit longer!!). Immediately when they are finished plunge them into ice cold water (I fill a bowl with water and put in two trays of ice cubes). Your eggs will peel just fine. Works every single time for me.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Guaranteed to work: bring your pan of water to the boil. Gently lower in the freshly laid eggs. Boil for 15-17 minutes, depending on the size (those big jumbo eggs our girls lay take a bit longer!!). Immediately when they are finished plunge them into ice cold water (I fill a bowl with water and put in two trays of ice cubes). Your eggs will peel just fine. Works every single time for me.
Does this meathod work on fresh eggs too? (I've never had luck peeling the fresh ones, I just get stuck with the yolk!):(

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it works well on fresh eggs, as I said, 'Gently lower in the freshly laid eggs' into the boiling water. It works every time! :)

Latest posts