Furnace Filters

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I literally bought my last 2 units off the internet. I buy from these guys.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com

Both systems were 16 SEER airconditioner \ furnaces 4 ton package units. One was a Propane furnace and the other Natural Gas furnace. They have all the parts, and an excellent help line. I usually save $5k on the systems and pay a fellow $750 to install them.

BTW the reason the mystery arrow exists on the filters is the physical support necessary to keep the wind load from sucking a clogged up filter into the return has to be oriented a certain way against the wind. Also some filters have a prefilter layer and a fine filter layer.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
with the knowledge from our last unit had the a/c people add an extra filter opening<now have 2 20x20x1 filters> compared to just one from the old unit....

changed them just a few moments ago.. that's 2 months worth of crap the super market filters caught...
shame on me for not changing them last month.......
IMG_1144[1].JPG

yes the inside of the furnace area is clean as a whistle...

people people get off the computer and go look at your filters...bet a cold drink that they need to be changed

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I flipped mine around yet again, with the arrow point upwards into the very large cavity of the return air unit. I figured that maybe that furnace is up there, which I suppose that cavity returns the air to the furnace to be heated again and then sent out via the floor vents. No more howling.

I went to Lowes and found closable ceiling vents (10 x 10) for the upstairs rental room. Took a tiny bit of work to get the two screw hole ones removed and install the four screw holes ones. Its in sheetrock, so wasn't hard to screw in.

Thanks everyone!

p.s. I'll be switching to the cheap ones after this debacle, per Major's advice.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I flipped mine around yet again, with the arrow point upwards into the very large cavity of the return air unit. I figured that maybe that furnace is up there, which I suppose that cavity returns the air to the furnace to be heated again and then sent out via the floor vents. No more howling.

I went to Lowes and found closable ceiling vents (10 x 10) for the upstairs rental room. Took a tiny bit of work to get the two screw hole ones removed and install the four screw holes ones. Its in sheetrock, so wasn't hard to screw in.

Thanks everyone!

p.s. I'll be switching to the cheap ones after this debacle, per Major's advice.

as other notable members have said change those filters on a regular bases.... <yes the arrows facing into the vent>
spending apx 100+ a year on filters is a lot cheaper than replacing the unit.......

Latest posts