Furrows

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wanted to add...
While I was looking for the chinese plastic things I found a disposable roasting pan and a large unused to-go box :D

So should I just punch small holes in the bottom of these things?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Honestly, all that the seed packets are telling you is to sow the seeds without covering them with soil, and bottom water (so they don't get accidentally covered up), because they need light to germinate.

The 'furrow' thing assumes you are sowing outdoors or in a large flat, you can ignore it for container sowing.

Use whatever containers you want as long as they are at least 2" deep and rigid enough that the soil will not pull away from the sides when they flex from being bumped or moved (while *some* plastic takeout containers may be ok, the majority are not so good, espeically if you are new to starting seeds).

When you punch your holes in the bottom, make sure it is in the lowest part of the bottom (not up on a ridge or raised area) so it will be as much as possible in contact with the outer drip-pan that you put the water in. Get the soil decently damp first; and if it seems to be drying off on the top, rewet with a mister.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts