Furrows

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess this is the right place?

I have a lot of seeds that need to be started in furrows. Butterfly bush, Bellflower, etc.
I asked a guy at home depot if they had anything and he gave me a long trey that collects the excess water from a planter. $4.

I dont really want to spend $4 for every type of plant I need these for. Plus they need to be bottom watered.

How do I make furrows that can be watered from the bottom?

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The best way I know to describe it is showing you pictures
http://www.fao.org/docrep/S8684E/s8684e0j.gif

http://www.potato-hot.com/img/general/furrows.jpg

Furrows: a marked narrow depression

The instructions say:
Bellfower Complete:
Sow seeds in shallow furrows, but do not cover; light required for germiantion. Bottom water. Keep moist, never allow to dry out.

Butterfly Bush:
Sow seeds in shallow furrows, but do not cover. Light required for germination. Bottom water. Keep moist, never allow to dry out.

Well when I purchased these seeds online I didnt know that "light was required for germination" and I dont have a light system. I feel like these seeds were a waist :(

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about this SarahFair- any type of tray/flat would work and you make valleys between your furrows and "flood the valleys". Not exactly bottom watering, but not disturbing the seeds either. Alternatively, you could use 2 trays that would fit together and maybe a bit of gravel, small stones to hold the top tray up and water by putting the water in the bottom tray. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Bellflower at all but at least have a Butterfly Bush. I have never tried propogating them but did a quick search on starting them from seeds. The site just said to spread them on the ground and they will sprout and grow.

I would not get hung up on the word "furrow". From your post and what little I saw, I'd suggest just spreading them on top of the soil in whatever you are starting them in. Don't rake any dirt over them. Do not pour water over them as that might disturb the soil and bury them. Maybe set a pot of dirt in a tray of water and a light overhead. I'd be concerned if I started them by direct sowing outdoors that the weeds would sprout faster than the bushes and I would not be able to tell the plants I want from the weeds.

Aftr all that, why don't you try calling your county extension agent and see if they can help you with planting butterfly bush or bellflower seeds? Your tax dollars are paying their salaries. May as well take advantage of them.

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What sort of light should I use? I have a heat lamp and that is about the only portable thing I have. The only fluorescent lights I have are 8+ feet off the ground..

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sarah, this might be of help to you: I went and bought a shop light setup from the hardware store that plugs in to an outlet and you can get full spectrum fluorescent bulbs (or even just the regular ones will help, cheaper anyway). You can hang it by a chain, from a frame or from the ceiling to get the height right over your seedlings. You can use clamp lights too, I hear. You want the light close up on it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Light" does not necessarily mean an "electric" light, Sarah.

I don't pay much attention to these things and just keep the supposed light-loving seed about on the soil surface. All seed indoors is started on top my fridge. The nearest electric light is 6 or 8 feet away and has little to nothing to do with my seed-starting.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got self watering from underneath pots at walmart. Good size too... they were on sale for $0.85 each. I got like 8 of them. I have basil started in them. Maybe check there?

Other wise I would invent something like a plastic tray inside a plastic tray. Put holes in the bottom of the top tray and water in the bottom tray. Maybe some chinese food plastic trays kinda thing?

Just an idea!

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I got self watering from underneath pots at walmart. Good size too... they were on sale for $0.85 each. I got like 8 of them. I have basil started in them. Maybe check there?

Other wise I would invent something like a plastic tray inside a plastic tray. Put holes in the bottom of the top tray and water in the bottom tray. Maybe some chinese food plastic trays kinda thing?

Just an idea!
Oh I have some of those!!!

YES! I didnt want to spend any more money! :lol:

I was wondering if there wasnt SOMETHING in the house I could use!