Future BBQ's

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe people on this board would hassle me over not correcting typo. I never pick on anyone or say a cruel word or thought about anyone. I am truly shocked. Nay, hurt to the quick.

;)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder if it's not more the action of the dog. Again, from my experience, coyotes in a pack will attack an animal they consider to be either a minimal or no threat (weaker dog on a chain for example) or an animal that is an immanent threat (charging dog, for example). I have never personally heard of, or experienced, a pack actively hunting a strong, free running dog. A single coyote is a coward, and would never consider going after an animal that may harm it. A pack is driven by need, and has more courage...the strength in numbers thing, but is still unlikely to actively hunt something that can fight back and cause damage. However, if the pack finds an advantage...all bets are off.
They are very intelligent animals though. Trap just one of a pack and that trap system is useless on the rest of the pack. They learn fast. I used to get $10 a hide from local ranchers and baited coyotes sometimes to draw them in. They even started avoiding the bait (chicken and fish).
I don't doubt that they have taken dogs (cats are easy for them), but actively hunting a free roaming dog just doesn't seem to be in their nature.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree. I've seen single Great Pyrs bring coyotes they've killed into the farmyard for the owner. Especially a female GP...she's quite a force to be reckoned with.

I've been living smack dab in the middle of coyote central and all my dogs live outside all the time on wireless containment...but can and will cross them anyway if given the right provocation. The pack just won't take them on, not even for the taste of chicken. Not singly and especially not in pairs. A savvy, fit farm dog is much different than dogs that spend most of their time in the house, especially at night. At night is when all the action goes down.

The dog I have now is Lab/BC mix and doesn't weigh more than 60 lbs but he's been out there on the land since a pup and hasn't had any issues. He's quiet, he's been killing preds successfully since 5 mo. of age when he killed his first big coon, and he's smart enough to put his back to the wall in a potential fight.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh she comes out in day.

Mysteriously cryptic, Seed....

images

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet in area where dogs are not attacked, are areas where dogs are used to hunt them. By being hunted with dogs , a fear of them is instilled. Here in city, dogs are not used of hunting, so coyotes has no fear of them.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never really heard of dogs being used to hunt coyotes....not sure if that can even be done. Usually they are lured in by prey or coyote pup calls and shot, caught in traps or just shot out in the open when spotted.

Bears are another thing....those are hunted with dogs in this state very much, so they are understandably shy of dogs..especially those off a chain.

Latest posts