Fuyu Persimmon Tree

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got it! The guy there showed me one of their mature fruit trees that had been pruned down to 18 inches to create a pretty drastic small tree. I've seen this tree bear fruit and it get's loaded. He trimmed it down to where it will be 8-10 feet when mature.

Thistle, I feel I planted it too high. The graft is about 2 inches above the soil line. What do you think? I kept digging and checking and it was too high, then I got it too low, and now I think it may be too high! This always happens to me. :rolleyes:

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay! How old did they say yours is?

It's not the graft you need to be concerned about when planting, because I'm guessing it's a bit higher on the trunk.
You need to check where the trunk flares down at the bottom right before you get to the roots...It's not always very noticeable on very young trees, but that trunk flare is where the lateral roots begin. You want those larger support roots to be near the surface, just barely covered.
Mary, is it in a container or in your ground?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have American persimmons on our place, they are small and sweet. They have to be almost rotten before they sweeten up and usually they fall off about that time. The dogs love them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay! How old did they say yours is?

It's not the graft you need to be concerned about when planting, because I'm guessing it's a bit higher on the trunk.
You need to check where the trunk flares down at the bottom right before you get to the roots...It's not always very noticeable on very young trees, but that trunk flare is where the lateral roots begin. You want those larger support roots to be near the surface, just barely covered.
Mary, is it in a container or in your ground?
It was bareroot when I bought it from the nursery. I have since planted it in the ground. I forgot to ask him to show me how deep to bury it. I'll scratch around it tomorrow to check on those lateral roots. I think it's a couple years old. It was about 7' tall before he pruned it.

Mary

Latest posts