Fuyu Persimmon Tree

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
After discovering that I LOVE Fuyu Persimmons, I'm thinking of getting a tree. One of my parents that has one said they bought an 8' tree and it took about 5 years to produce fruit. I've tried googling it and I don't see that mentioned by nurseries. Of course, maybe they don't want you to know that so you won't be discouraged from buying one.

I've called a very nice reputable nursery and they have them in stock. They are 8-9', 2-3yrs. old. They say they trim them down for you to 18". :ep This is so the tree can mature at 8-10 feet instead of the usual 20-25ft. They also will take about 8 years to bear fruit. One of the employees planted one 3 years ago and got just 1 persimmon. Looks like the tree may be on track to produce in the 5 years that I've heard.

I find it hard to believe that they would take that long to bare fruit. Why? Any thoughts? Anyone ever grow one?

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why not go visit your parent when the fruit is rope? Be a good daughter......

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, they are the parents of one of my preschoolers. She does bring me some. They have a Fuyu and a Hachiya persimmon trees. But they are beautiful trees in the fall and since I love the fruit, I'd like one for my yard.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought we she typed one of MY parents, I was thinking biological not school. My bad.

On second thought take part of your pay in fruit...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary fruit trees do take a long time before producing fruit. Some times you get lucky, and have a early producer. I just planted a orchard was surpized at number of peaches I got from newly planted trees. I am sure it will be years before I get any apples or pears.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, there isn't a dwarf tree. Yesterday, I went and saw the one at our local nursery. Today, I'm going out to breakfast and then going to the other nursery to check theirs out. That nursery is somewhat pricey but most of their staff are Master Gardeners and they know their stuff.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with persimmon trees so I looked them up. They are brilliant in the fall! Some of those trees in the pictures were so loaded with fruit you couldn't see the branches. I also learned that the Asian types are sweet even while they are still firm, unlike the American persimmons that need to be very soft before they are sweet.

I hope you get one, because if you wait you'll just be another year older while your tree is growing to bearing age. ;)

Latest posts