Galvanized Trough

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a 2x2x3 galvanized trough to put my 2 blueberry plants that are in wine barrels that are starting to rot.

I believe it has a drainage hole at the bottom. Do I need to make more drainage holes? Do I need to add gravel at the bottom?

It looks pretty deep and it would probably take a lot of soil to fill. I've heard that blueberries are shallow rooted plants. Should I add styrofoam peanuts at the bottom 6 inches?

Anything else that I haven't thought about that I should know?

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never used those as containers- but people sure do. I would just add that using the peanuts seems like a good idea, but if you ever have to empty the container, they make a big mess. I read a tip, that you could spray "Greatstuff" in the bottom. This serves the same purpose, but isn't a million little pieces. You would need to drill or dig a few holes for drainage in it. I am going to try it this year for sure. Also, the gravel is a good idea- but it makes your container super heavy. I needed the tractor to move around my big pots, because I had that bright idea! Good luck with your berries!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mary, I used recycled plastic containers in the bottom of my big pots to take up room. Things like soda or juice containers with the lids on tight.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea. Maybe the one liter size Gatoraide bottles. They are thick. Shall I send you a couple hundred? (DH's habit, not mine)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In keeping with the Victorian theme, may I suggest a claw footed bathtub, painted in bright colors? :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
In keeping with the Victorian theme, may I suggest a claw footed bathtub, painted in bright colors? :)
Bay, I would love one of those. They are pricey over here. Seen them for around $400 and they are also too big for the space.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea. Maybe the one liter size Gatoraide bottles. They are thick. Shall I send you a couple hundred? (DH's habit, not mine)
My husband and son drink those like water! So I have plenty. I usually buy a case when they go on sale which is pretty often. The store has my data, they are always offering me $.79 or .88 sale prices.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary with all your sunshine will the metal heat up baking the roots? Wine barrels have plastic liners that help protect wood from rot. i think people use them when they want to make water gardens out of them

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary with all your sunshine will the metal heat up baking the roots? Wine barrels have plastic liners that help protect wood from rot. i think people use them when they want to make water gardens out of them
Nyboy, this is always a concern of mine with my container gardening. There is a second hand store here that has them with the same sun exposure as mine. I also know that SweetMissDaisy had her's in full sun in a hotter climate, so I'm hoping it will be ok. I'm really excited because locally they want $160 for the 2x2x4 but I found it for $99.99 at a feed store about 40 minutes away! I hope to get it next weekend.

Mary

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used old bottles in a garbage can to take up space. Put a depression in the space, pour the soil over the plastic, and plant. This makes the container light and makes clean-up easy since all the waste is inside the bag.

Latest posts