Garden Bullies, lemon cukes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like them just fine but I don't think you could find a more vigorous cucumber variety.

They all but overran the melons that were planted in the same bed. I even had to pull some of the lemon cuke vines to allow the melons to produce their crop!

DSC00531.jpg

I hope you are able to get something worthwhile from your Garden Bullies!

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really have been wanting to cross lemon cucumbers with one of the greenhouse cucumbers for several years now. Just have nopt done it yet.

Man, Lemon cucumbers sure do grow strongly, are good munching, and they never get sick. Good breedin' material.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had the same problem.... tons of them and they started crawling everywhere... they are really good as pickles though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are in a real pickle now, Buster!!

Pickles? How do you pickle those round guys - as chips? Whole, some wouldn't fit thru a wide-mouth jar, even. Still, there are smaller ones . . .

One problem I think that some might have with lemon cucumbers is that they think that harvest should wait until the fruit looks like lemons! I really feel that this is a mistake. My plan is to harvest them as soon as there is any hint of yellow and not a moment later. Picking them green is more than okay. If you wait until they are yellow, the seeds are really developed inside.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My watermelons were our bullies, they took over everything! Smoother a whole bed. I pulled the 'one' vine out finally when it was done and the black beans could finally thrive! I almost lost them. :rolleyes:

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine weren't bullies at all, they barely even produced. My armenians were the big bullies, which I had never even got to live until this year.

plainolebill

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a lot more of them than I anticipated :/ Once in a while I can tease out one of the delicious Zagross cukes that have been strangled by the lemons.

I fight this battle with my SO every year - my plan for next season is to plant them alongside the ivy that's growing out of our neighbor's yard. :)

Kassaundra, that Armenian sounds like something I can use.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I used a Kosher pickle and added a bit of rosemary to the jar.... added some red pepper flakes to a couple of jars. All are yummy but next year I plan to put them on my back fence away from the rest of th e garden

Latest posts