Garden Dreams

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bribing with a pie or some other homemade goodie sometimes helps. ;) My BIL used to be known as "the mule", LOL. I usually have to promise him dinner if he's coming over to help with anything.

I got to thinking about the 20 or so loads of firewood DH brings in each year. I read all the good reviews on that thing and decided to go for it. I'm pretty sure he won't kill me for buying it since it was technically his idea...he just forgot about it (and I bookmarked it). Heck, I might even get a backrub for this. :gig I totally forgot about that thing until you mentioned manure. :D

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmmm... well.. I think the thing I'm most looking forward to this year is brussel sprouts! :p None of us have ever tried them, so, on a whim we bought a 4 pack at our local feed store. We figured, it's $2, why not! We were going to plant 2 beds with flowers, but, only 1 bed will be used for flowers this year. (We couldn't think what else we wanted to plant.. so flowers it was! LOL We have a guy up the road that has a fruit and veggie stand. He sells his stuff really inexpensive, and from what I understand it's grown organically! My neighbor and I have decided that we're going to do a smaller garden this year and buy some stuff from him to can. She has a pretty big yard (I think they have 3/4 acre?) but I only have 1/3 and that has to be multi-purpose space. Dogs, kids, chickens, "orchard", garden, etc. I just don't think we have enough space to grow enough to can.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that's a great solution and one we have employed for the past two years. We have enough room to grow corn here but our soil has been so acidic that it grows poorly on this plot and it takes up so much room for too little return. And the farm stand has corn so huge and delicious at a good price that we finally decided to stop trying to grow corn and just buy it for canning up.

Now, this year we plan to change the nature of our soil with a BTE garden, so I'll be trying the corn again and planting the pumpkins, melons and some of the beans within it so that I've lost no space. I'm also applying the great equalizer...horse manure...so I'm hoping for better results in bigger and more ears per stalk.

If we don't get enough of a harvest from it for a good canning, we'll not hesitate to buy from the local farm stand.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How we gardeners love....poop.

I had to laugh at your post because we just went and got our first load of manure for the season and we stood there grinning like a mule eatin' briars as the truck was loaded. :lol: I was in love, pure and simple.

Horse manure that had been sitting in a large pile since last fall, mixed with sawdust...steaming like a boiling caldron. It has very little smell at all, just earthy, composted goodness. Loaded on the truck for me!!!! My heart hit the ground in a dead swoon.

Ah, those three little words this woman loves to hear :love

....."free horse manure".

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wanna see it? It's beautiful!!!

LL

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've seen those and always thought they would be worth the investment if a person did a lot of hauling, which I always have. I used to have boys to help me load and unload things but now it's hard to get them out to the house for anything, let alone for work.

For now it's fork and shovel, take my time and get it done as well I can.

That is a really good price

Latest posts