Garden gloves, do you or don't you?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A pair for the prickly weeds and such, handling those bales of wheat straw, or when I use a tool like a hoe, mattock, or shovel. Whe I was a kid on the farm I could handle those square bales of hay, tied with twine, and not blister my hands. Not any more. But when I am doing more delicate stuff, like tying up tomatoes or cucumbers or weeding, the gloves come off.

I wash dishes without gloves to get my fingers and fingernails clean.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hate the sweaty feel of gloves - much rather feel the dirt. So I use my leather gloves only for prickly stuff and I also wear the one on my right hand when digging bigger roots with the trowel so my palm doesn't get as sore or blistered. My hands do look like I've been digging in the garden all summer - really hard to get the nails clean.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a pair of cloth gloves that I like, but they usually get tossed aside - I definitely use them to cut okra though. I also have a pair of leather gloves I use for heavy stuff.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose I should get in here on this . . :rolleyes: .

. . . see the avatar?

When I was younger, I had rheumatoid arthritis. The serious fair-ups diminished but skin rashes, especially, on my hands are a lingering symptom. I need to try to protect the skin on my hands.

During farm work, I always had leather gloves. I still cut flowers with leather gloves with a glued-on cutting pad and a sharp knife.

Like Don, usually in the garden I am wearing the cloth back, rubber palm gloves. They are fairly cool. If I am weeding, I use nitrile gloves, like JaimeB. I also use those when I'm spraying chemicals.

There, you have long suspected it :/. Now, I've admitted it!

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not wear gloves out side, unless I have to handle something that requires gloves. Gloves are just something else to lose or misplace.

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Like most, I only wear gloves if I'm doing some sort of rough work. Otherwise, it's dirty nails all the way.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I only use gloves if dealing with thorns, even then not always. They bug the living daylights out of me, I'd rather be able to feel what I'm grabbing. Even if I get dirt under my nails.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a die hard glove wearer now that I found the glove I love :D .
I love love love these gloves!
My occupation makes it necessary to wear gloves and I practically live in them. With gloves my hands are a beat up mess, and without them I would be a whimpering wreck.
They come in lots of colors, even black for those formal garden affairs.
I own lots of them now, a pair lasts me about a month, maybe two, depending on what's happening in the gardening scene (spring weeding season is particularly hard on them ). And I wear a clean pair at each customers place, so they get washed a lot. They're thin enough to feel tender transplants, and small weeds, but tough enough to wear when we thin the pines.

Here's a pic... Umm, please pardon the dirt, these haven't been washed yet,.... and I do wear two of the same color...

7504_gtloves003.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are what I wear, Thistle'!

I've got blue & grey - I wonder if they have extra large in any other colors ;).

You can wash 'em . . ?

Steve