!Garden Gnomes - the new Pink Flamingo!

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You know,I used to think garden gnomes were a little creepy - but I have to admit they've grown on me. A house down the street has one they keep moving around their yard, and my kids tell me it's game on their school bus to spot his new location. One day he was blown into the driveway during a storm and the kids were worried about him!

I used to think these types of garden toys were silly - but the older I get the more they make me laugh.

So I thought I'd start a thread about the more amusing garden thingies out there. I don't quite have the chuztpah to put one of these in my yard, but live and let live right? It's kind of like folk art...

5374_1lg3fancyladybum.jpg

Gnomes on the other hand - I just might succumb....:cool:

~Phyllis

cheryli

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love garden kitch but keep it "small" so it surprises you. Pink flamingos under a tree, spring necked birds, a cement frog...

Cheryl

chickensista

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nice butt! LOL I'll get out soon to take some pics of my garden kitch pics. I like metal sculptures - bugs, bats, frogs, etc. I do have a pair of cement feet that are a little dark. Looks like a body is buried in the garden.... I like 'em.
I have one gnome, but its being carried away by a gnome-be-gone. I'll take a pic of that too. :)

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i think yard art is a phase that everyone goes thru. my mom is in that phase right now (makes shopping for her easy).

as for me, i just have the lone flamingo.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am searching for 'something' for the center of my garden-so I purchased a winged lion-but decided it was too small. The hunt goes on.
I have to say-I've never really like the garden nomes either-but then the other day I was in the store and they had one marked 1/2 price...I'm going back after work to see it he still needs a home-then sneak him into the flower bed.

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My Mom loves gnomes. She has them in her yard (tastefully) Neighbors always comments how they look forward when spring comes to see if she has any new ones. Infact garden gnomes are good luck in the German tradition. At least that is what I am told.

No for me I love pink flamingos, hubby hates them!
Now growing up in the summer at the Jersey shore you get use to seeing white stones for a yard and flamingos all over. My Grandmother lived down the shore and she had her flamingos and other CEMENT figurines.
I have one spot in my garden for all my pink buddies. But living down here in Central VA it is hard to find tastfully (if that is possible at all) flamingos.
I am a flag person too. But having 5 woody acres I can space out my flags. Just wish there was a way for them not fade over the years. Had/have some different ones that I don't see anymore.

:tools

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have to tell this story. We live in the country so housed are farther apart and farther back from the main road. We left early one fall, foggy morning to take the kids to school and I spotted the most beautiful Canadian geese on the neighbors lawn. Some sitting and some standing. I was really surprised that they were just hanging around that close to the house. We talked about them the whole way to school. (we do have geese that hang around our town from time to time)

When we got back later that day the geese were still there-in a different place on his lawn, however. I was thinking they must really like the neighbors house. then we started really watching them. They were not moving. They turned out to be fake. They were so real looking-like decoys. We laughed about it and I wanted to sneak over with a pink flamingo in the night and add it to his "flock". I didn't have the nerve to do it. He kept moving those geese around his yard for a long time.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I was a kid a friend of my dad's got him good.. My father had planted tomtoes and was obsesssing on them, and his friend BIll just couldnt' take it anymore. So about 3 weeks after the plants went into the ground(?), my father looks out the kitchen window and ays "HONEY - guess what? We already have tomtatoes!"

I've never seen him run so fast.

Well, turns out that Bill found a fake tomato and wired it to one of the plants!

:lol:

~Phyllis

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gnomes scare me. Seriously.

So, I've told this story here before.

When I was a kid I was at Sears or some store with my grandparents. I wandered off and got lost. As I was wandering around, crying, trying to find someone I walked down this row of gnomes and it horrified me.

To this day. No gnomes.

Latest posts