sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
a19945b370f8edf3baafa4c4f76fb8e6.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of "fine wine"

A few weeks ago in an effort to fulfill a promise made to a cousin of mine I began to make some mead (actually it was not so much a promise as taking up an insult of his when I dissed his raspberry wine that, I could do better)

So anyway this mead (actually technically, since it is made of a mixture of honey and (domesticated) black mulberry juice* the correct term is Morat) has been fermenting for a while now, and twice a day I vent it (let some of the CO2 produced out so the bottle doesn't explode) when I do this I get to smell the stuff and I discovered something; when you mix mulberry juice and honey and ferment it, the stuff you get smells JUST like Manischewitz! (hopefully it will end up TASTING better)

*by which I mean I used a bag of dried black mulberries as opposed to collecting fruit from outside (from what I understand most random sowed mulberry trees are species mixes and have poor tasting fruit)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who made raspberry wine for several years. His was a very simple process using cane sugar but that's all I kn0w about it. His raspberry wine was not wonderful but it surprised me that it was as good as it was.

My idea about 15 years ago was to use garden produce for wine making. Strangely, very strangely, the gardeners who I was communicating with and who seemed most happy with their product were making wine from pea pods ..! NOT even the green pea seeds but the leftover shells. I absolutely could not bring myself to even try that!

My best wine out of a half dozen tries, was a simple rice and raisin recipe. However, this was just the sort of thing I hadn't set out to do - I was making wine with ingredients I didn't grow and with grapes. There are hundreds of bottles of grape wine in every supermarket! Most of those wines were as good or better than what I could make with all my limitations. Finally, I used winter squash as an addition to the rice and raisin but to avoid having a cloudy wine, the squash was raw. It imparted a lovely color but that was the only difference from the previous rice and raisin wine I had made - not nearly the big step I was trying for of using garden produce for wine.

Since Dad and I used to make some very good beer ~ about 20 or 30 years ago ~ and I live where both barley and hops are grown commercially ... ah, never mind!

Steve

Latest posts