Garden humor thread..

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha! I wanted a zero turn mower instead of the tractor style mower because speed. My wife did not. True story:
Wife: You need to go get the mower.
Me: Why? Where is it?
Wife: In the azaleas.
Two things happened. One was a new tractor style mower with a steering wheel instead of control bars. Two was me learning to listen to my wife more attentively.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Haha! I wanted a zero turn mower instead of the tractor style mower because speed. My wife did not. True story:
Wife: You need to go get the mower.
Me: Why? Where is it?
Wife: In the azaleas.
Two things happened. One was a new tractor style mower with a steering wheel instead of control bars. Two was me learning to listen to my wife more attentively.
I nearly flipped one by hitting a huge ant bed right as I went to turn.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I nearly flipped one by hitting a huge ant bed right as I went to turn.
She bent the deck and that scared me because that takes some pretty good force. I could not imagine how scary that must have been. Anyway we are still married. Now I notice she does not use the mower anymore.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've had three different styles of mowers here (besides the rabbis (rabbits, but i left that in because it makes me laugh at imagining a rabbi mowing the lawn), deer and groundhogs). the large string trimmer with wheels on it (blown up because someone forgot to put oil in the gas as it was a 2 cycle), the 2nd was a push old fashioned spinning blade mower that lasted about 3 times before Mom said enough, and the four stroke push mower we have now which is easy enough for Mom to start.

the deal when i first moved in here was that i would do all the gardening and working on projects she wanted as long as she did the mowing. there's really not that much lawn left anways so i figured no big whoop.

as time has gone on the area we mow to the south which isn't even our property has gotten a bit bigger and the area of the SE garden was turned into mowing space due to a leg problem i had for a few years where i couldn't keep up with it.

i would be happy to turn all the remaining grass/mowing area into gardens and let the south area go back to field but Mom likes it mowed regularly so that's where we're at. except i've gradually gotten more mowing duties as Mom has decided she couldn't mow as much. she still likes doing it so as much as she wants to do i let her go and then when she's had enough she comes and gets me and i finish up. normally that has been the south field edge that i do which is as big as all the rest of the grassy areas combined. it takes us about 3hrs to do it but when Mom had her bad spell last summer and i was mowing the whole thing i could get it done in 2hrs. not that bad, not that expensive to do, just the time i'd rather much be doing something else like napping or siesta or whatever else.

i really stopped enjoying mowing because as a kid i mowed lawns for various people and it paid ok and was a good way to get money for a 10speed bike and save some for college or a car or whatever, but some people were a real pain in the butt and turned it into more drama than i ever wanted to be involved in. i also trapped moles for people which paid better, but it still ended up being more drama than i really wanted.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You people have nothing on my wife.

She came back from mowing the back of property saying it’s not mowing correct. The blades are so bent (3/8 hardened steel thick) they are tilling the ground. When asked what she hit, nothing......

She called me at work that the mower won’t work. When I got home the front rim/tire have been knocked off the mower along with the front tire on the very heavy mower deck. When asked what she hit, nothing....

My mechanic friend said to tell her that just because it’s caterpillar yellow, it’s not a bull dozer. She did not see the humor...

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You people have nothing on my wife.

She came back from mowing the back of property saying it’s not mowing correct. The blades are so bent (3/8 hardened steel thick) they are tilling the ground. When asked what she hit, nothing......

She called me at work that the mower won’t work. When I got home the front rim/tire have been knocked off the mower along with the front tire on the very heavy mower deck. When asked what she hit, nothing....

My mechanic friend said to tell her that just because it’s caterpillar yellow, it’s not a bull dozer. She did not see the humor...
Sounds like my dad and his tractor. He’s taken out our mailbox. Taken out the the tomato trellis that was made of 6ft metal T-posts. Shattered the door because he was bush hogging with the door open because he needed to fix the air conditioning. Just a few of the tales I could tell.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh this is fun! Picture the teacher of the year in Georgia some years back. Short woman, gorgeous, just a lovey doll to know. Her husband - Clif - my wifes' sales partner. They have a van, with those tow a trailer wide type door mirrors.

Clif comes home on a Friday, being a multistate traveling sales dude. No Mirror on the passenger side.

Honey, where did you take the van? ( Note advanced husbandry skillset)

Nowhere but the mall.

Clif goes to said store. Mirror in the bushes.

True story. I idolize that guy to this day.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
180661507_10166013473520377_5417454600792260767_n.jpg