Screenshot_20230509_210712_Brave.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230511_194929_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511_194929_Brave.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 62

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone needs to explain the humor in this to me.

View attachment 57199
I have 4 different types of melons started.​
The humor is that, generally, no one is going to buy 60 cantaloupes at once. There's no way you could eat all those before most of them spoiled, or you lost your taste for cantaloupe. You have planted four different types of melon, but, presumably, you aren't planning to eat every melon every one of your plants produces all AT ONCE, they'll be spaced out. The math problem is setting up a scenario that, in real life, just would not happen (unless you were buying them for a massive party or some company that used a huge amount of fruit (say, one that made those fruit flower baskets or mixed fruit salads for a catering company.)

It's a bit like what I refer to in my garden as the Winter Melon problem. I like Winter Melon soup, so I have often contemplated trying to grow them myself. But the problem is that, in general, it only takes about a half pound to pound of winter melon to make a gallon pot of soup, and most Winter Melons average about 40-100 pounds. I only want soup OCCASIONALLY, and would get tired of it after a while. And I don't know anyone else who would want any. So, if I made soup, 99% of the melon would just end up getting thrown out for going rotten before I got to it. And that's just ONE fruit, even one vine would probably produce SEVERAL over a season. Even the Chinese generally buy the fruit in chunks (unless it's a ten or fifteen pound kind and they want to use the shell as a carve able soup tureen. So I put off trying until I could find one that was super small so that each fruit was only that half to full pound, so that making a pot of soup used the WHOLE THING up and I wouldn't end up having to toss otherwise good food due to not being able to use it, and extra fruits can be kept intact for long term storage.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The humor is that, generally, no one is going to buy 60 cantaloupes at once. There's no way you could eat all those before most of them spoiled, or you lost your taste for cantaloupe. You have planted four different types of melon, but, presumably, you aren't planning to eat every melon every one of your plants produces all AT ONCE, they'll be spaced out. The math problem is setting up a scenario that, in real life, just would not happen (unless you were buying them for a massive party or some company that used a huge amount of fruit (say, one that made those fruit flower baskets or mixed fruit salads for a catering company.)

It's a bit like what I refer to in my garden as the Winter Melon problem. I like Winter Melon soup, so I have often contemplated trying to grow them myself. But the problem is that, in general, it only takes about a half pound to pound of winter melon to make a gallon pot of soup, and most Winter Melons average about 40-100 pounds. I only want soup OCCASIONALLY, and would get tired of it after a while. And I don't know anyone else who would want any. So, if I made soup, 99% of the melon would just end up getting thrown out for going rotten before I got to it. And that's just ONE fruit, even one vine would probably produce SEVERAL over a season. Even the Chinese generally buy the fruit in chunks (unless it's a ten or fifteen pound kind and they want to use the shell as a carve able soup tureen. So I put off trying until I could find one that was super small so that each fruit was only that half to full pound, so that making a pot of soup used the WHOLE THING up and I wouldn't end up having to toss otherwise good food due to not being able to use it, and extra fruits can be kept intact for long term storage.
Kale Konfusion happens too!