Garden humor thread..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zcarrots.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW has wholeheartedly embraced my bean obsession, to the point where she insisted on shelling most of the beans this year. Now, with all the beans shelled, she looks a little sad... so I bought her several packages of pistachios to shell, to ease the pain. Only some of the members of this forum would understand. :lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW has wholeheartedly embraced my bean obsession, to the point where she insisted on shelling most of the beans this year. Now, with all the beans shelled, she looks a little sad... so I bought her several packages of pistachios to shell, to ease the pain. Only some of the members of this forum would understand. :lol:

whatever you do, don't look up bean shelling on youtube...

oops, too late...

and yes, i know exactly how she feels. in the middle of winter i do sometimes get beans out and go through them. tactile and color feedback are important to me.

for the fun of it:

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Beefy beans, beefy beans, beefy beans"... thanks a lot for the ear worm (lol). o_O

Interesting videos. Totally aside from the fact that we enjoy shelling by hand - and mostly keep up with that task throughout the summer - such a machine is unnecessary for the small lots we grow for seed saving. If we were ever to switch our gardening focus from preservation to large-scale subsistence, such a setup would probably become necessary.

I did like the winnowing box idea, though. I've been mulling over a contraption for years that would winnow & clean large seeds, using forced air & baffles. It would be easy to incorporate threshing into the process, but then we'd lose out on all the fun. ;) Besides, when you shell by hand, you can easily cull out bad seed at the same time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Beefy beans, beefy beans, beefy beans"... thanks a lot for the ear worm (lol). o_O

hahaha! :)

Interesting videos. Totally aside from the fact that we enjoy shelling by hand - and mostly keep up with that task throughout the summer - such a machine is unnecessary for the small lots we grow for seed saving. If we were ever to switch our gardening focus from preservation to large-scale subsistence, such a setup would probably become necessary.

right, to me the interesting points were to see what was possible as low tech as possible. for me putting the pods in a pillowcase and beating them with a baseball bat or other big smooth stick was my low tech method of choice when i actually had enough to make it worth it.

otherwise, i'm the same way, shell each pod by hand, one at a time, look at the pretty beans hoping this pod is from Santa and then if some were different enough i put those off to the side in little containers for replanting consideration. i think that actually may be why i have a fair number of crosses because i'm very much aware of what is normal and what isn't for a variety so when i see beans that are a bit bigger or a slightly different shape they tend to end up off to the side and eventually have a much higher chance of being replanted if they are anything at all closer to what my goals might be for that variety.

the tactile and colors involved are icing on the cake for me aside from being able to see something completely new for the first time.

seeing a new bean variety may not rank up there on the scale of things like the first person who saw cells or bacteria under a microscope but for me it is still great to have happen and i feel that is something every gardener should experience. :) but i am also very biased. heheheh... :)

I did like the winnowing box idea, though. I've been mulling over a contraption for years that would winnow & clean large seeds, using forced air & baffles. It would be easy to incorporate threshing into the process, but then we'd lose out on all the fun. ;) Besides, when you shell by hand, you can easily cull out bad seed at the same time.

i like how low tech it is and i also liked that she wore Crocs. :) :) :)

when i daydream i still think of my old HO railroad and how fun it would be to set up a complete HO railroad that would shell and sort beans for me (and take pictures :) !!!!! )... version 2.0 would include genetic sampling.

Last edited:

Latest posts