Garden in Front Yard

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I planted peas along my front fence and I put edible flowering Kale in my whiskey barrel planter. I also grew salad in a bed next to the house.

This year I am growing butternut squash, corn and beans. Peas will go in the new bed along the side fence and sweet potatoes are going in along the fence by the driveway.

I may do another raised bed in the middle of the yard if I can scrounge up the materials. We get a lot of shade though so it may just be for greens.

As for the neighbors...who cares? Actually my neighbors are nice and are often lucky to be able to grow grass so they really can't comment :D

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have seen garden's in the front yard and it has always looked OK. You should really plant flowers in with your veggies anyway to help bring in your bees. I have seen a ton of homes with gardens on the side of their homes. And I have seen lots of landscapes with pretty bushes and flower and a tomato plant or herbs tuck in with them.

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I have seen garden's in the front yard and it has always looked OK. You should really plant flowers in with your veggies anyway to help bring in your bees. I have seen a ton of homes with gardens on the side of their homes. And I have seen lots of landscapes with pretty bushes and flower and a tomato plant or herbs tuck in with them.
That Is A good Idea! Thanks! :bee

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For many years I have subtly had edible plants as part of the landscape in my front yard. Each I add a few more. However, I currently hide them mixed in with ornamental plants. My biggest concern is always a random passersby finding them ready to pick before I do.

The easiest plant to hide was my sunshine blueberry. I planted the first one 5 years ago in my bed with roses. Other than my neighborhood kids' who I let pick the berries, no one seems to know it is there. *I always tell the kids on the block when things are ripe in my yard and let them pick.

So far, I have grown cherry tomatoes next to my climbing rose, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, edible flowers and herbs in the front yard garden. Most of my front yard is in shade, so I am limited on what can grow.

P1190053.jpg

I am one house in from a corner and a public park. Lot of folks walk right by these throughout the day. So far, I have had no stealing of fruit that I have missed. The plants are not very attractive in the photo because this was one of my fall photos.

I would recommend perennial plants mixed in with any annual edibles so it can be more attractive year round. Since a front yard is a publicly viewed space, I am more careful about aesthetics out there. My yard and gardens are kind of "cottagey" so it seems to work okay.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardenerd - Thanks for the great input. I am being more inspired by you folks who have front gardens. I too am fearfull of passerbys taking the fruit. I live 3 houses down from a park and have people walking by all the time. My biggest concerns are the teenagers who hang out at the park in the evenings. I have already had a "little boy figurine" stolen from the top of my fountain! I live in a safe area and can't believe someone took it. It was made of concrete and very heavy. I still miss him. My lawn area is small and right next to the sidewalk.

I'm hoping this year will be a good year since it's my first time doing a veggie garden. If it is, watch out front yard, I'm coming after you!:lol:

It would sure give me more space since my veggie garden is quite small.

mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You could never KNOW if something was to turn up missing, its a risk we take. (The most risk it comes out to be to me, is when prices at the supermarket get jacked up!)

That said, no matter I think it will be worth it.

Like GardeNerd is doing, try mixing in some perennials and flowers and shrubs to cover up the fact that your annuals are food! Roses as camaflouge! LOL

:D

Great yard BTW GardeNerd!!!! :bouquet

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
You could never KNOW if something was to turn up missing, its a risk we take. (The most risk it comes out to be to me, is when prices at the supermarket get jacked up!)

That said, no matter I think it will be worth it.

Like GardeNerd is doing, try mixing in some perennials and flowers and shrubs to cover up the fact that your annuals are food! Roses as camaflouge! LOL

:D

Great yard BTW GardeNerd!!!! :bouquet
Thanks!

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My first garden started small in the front yard, now that garden takes up almost half of the front yard, has a fence around it, gravel paths and I love it. This year that garden will be just legumes.

I love having it in the front yard. I and others use it as a landmark. The house with the big garden in the front yard. I also have one on the side yard (nightshades this year) and one in the back yard (everything else). I will get pics soon, the weather is not conducive right now.

Oh, yeah, it was DH's idea.

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We tore out the front yard maybe ten years ago. It was a funky lawn that was a stopping place for folks walking their dogs anyway. The drainage was bad, and the walkways funky.

It's in roses and patio now, with a huge split leafed maple tree providing shade.

But there are places where I'm going to add to the rosemary with other herbs. And probably plant a few container squashes that can run across the patio. The lavender has lived its life, and could likely be replaced with something edible. I think, though, that sunflowers there would be a major mistake.

LOML will have an opinion, though. And I'll listen. Sharing the results of the garden is one of the joys of growing one. Having extra for others is special.:)

Latest posts