Garden Life is an Experiment

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Radish leaves.

They are hairy but I learned that in a stir-fry, the hairiness completely disappears. I bought seed for a radish that was sold as "hairless" but that seed company went out of business about 20 years ago. (It was like I learned of its existence, ordered some seed and the company was gone!) That's how I came to try radish in stir-fry and was willing to experiment with leaves from the more conventional varieties.

However, I'm seeing them advertised as a salad green and have found a source and description for Saisai Purple Radish. It is a daikon. Have you eaten daikon? The first time I had it was in a little restaurant at Pike's Place in Seattle. Vietnamese sandwich. Whew - spicy! But, I liked it and have bought those sandwiches now and then at Asian markets. Yep. The roots look too big for me to make good use of them and I have that root-unfriendly, rocky soil but this veggie looks multipurpose.

Steve

Tom Banton

Sprout
Reaction score
I am an avid Gardener. Since my childhood, I like gardening. I cultivated Bush Sunflowers, in my garden . But I faced some problems. It looked weedy around the plants, and the plants seem to be almost dead in the last summer. I thought it happened because of insufficient water supply. That is why I watered the plants but it did't work .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A very interesting website, BTW
American Chemical Society ...

Strange information on one of the webpages about toxins in vegetables. Celery and parsnip leaves??

So, what about carrot or parsley leaves? And, lots of us use celery leaves in cooking. In fact, "cutting leaf celery" is grown for its leaves.

Well, I did the smallest amount of research ;). Yes, I guess that they can have something that makes the skin sensitive to sunlight. Good Heavens. Must not be in very high amounts!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came across this fascinating article about testing the pH of a solution using red cabbage. @flowerbug , if I recall, weren't you discussing this concept recently? I like this article, because it provides a detailed pH color scale:

Making red cabbage pH indicator

A very interesting website, BTW.

yes, thanks, i'll check it out after a nap. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh fun to learn about the red poinsettia leaves also being usable in that manner.

i was talking about red cabbage indicator but i was also talking about purple bean seed color being similar. i had cooked some up last fall and they recommended using rubbing alcohol to preserve it so i did that and put it in the fridge and then got waylaid by other things and never used it. just the other day Mom asked me if i was actually going to use it and i looked out the window at the frozen ground and poured it down the sink, it is now indicating the septic system.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Radish leaves.

They are hairy but I learned that in a stir-fry, the hairiness completely disappears. I bought seed for a radish that was sold as "hairless" but that seed company went out of business about 20 years ago. (It was like I learned of its existence, ordered some seed and the company was gone!) That's how I came to try radish in stir-fry and was willing to experiment with leaves from the more conventional varieties.

However, I'm seeing them advertised as a salad green and have found a source and description for Saisai Purple Radish. It is a daikon. Have you eaten daikon? The first time I had it was in a little restaurant at Pike's Place in Seattle. Vietnamese sandwich. Whew - spicy! But, I liked it and have bought those sandwiches now and then at Asian markets. Yep. The roots look too big for me to make good use of them and I have that root-unfriendly, rocky soil but this veggie looks multipurpose.

Steve
Radish leaves are one of my favorite vegetable, especially in the early spring, when most of the leafy greens are still too small to be harvested.

The major reason I plant radish is for their young leaves more than the roots. Stir-fry is good, or cook the entire plant (root+leaves) with broth, meat ball or some meat into soup is also good.

The leaves of white radish is also a good vegetable, but as it is even more hairy than cherry radish, we usually salt them to remove bitterness, water and solve the hairy issue. After a good squeezing and most of the moist is removed, there is a charming fragrance. Then we chopped them, stir-fry with chili and minced meat :D

1630411870483.png

Latest posts