garden morphing into summer garden

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was noticing today how the garden has changed in the last week or so. the kale and swiss chard remain. the leeks are just weird. I don't think I will do leeks again, but I want to do shallots.
my new asparagus seems ok, though it's crowded right now with sun flower and a tomato. the peppers are here and there because I couldn't seem to find a place for them all together all pretty-like when it was time to go in.

the onions are taking too long to finish. the beans need the onions to go away. the okra needs to go in that bed too, as soon as the onions are done. there's also several volunteer tomato plants in that bed that I don't have the heart to pull out, so everybody else is going to have to move over. the tomatoes are loaded and will start turning soon. that will be fun. I just wish the peppers would come on at the same time. I love HOT peppers and banana peppers

i'm wondering if the eggplant will make. I have serious doubts about it.
my squash is pitiful. the bugs got to it, and I don't do pest control much. I've been pulling the bugs off & tearing parts of the leaves off that have eggs on their undersides - that's my pest control. i'm that kind of gardener. here in Texas the climate is so brutal that I have gotten pretty hard on plants. if they don't make a heroic effort, then they're done for. since i'm new to vegetable gardening, that attitude has moved over into the veggies as well. at least I water the veggies which is more than I do for the rest of the landscape (well I water occasionally).

the month of may has been incredibly kind. we haven't hit 100 yet and we've had some decent rain. the days have been quite tolerable until late afternoon. I know the switch will flip and the SUMMER will begin in earnest.

Latest posts