Garden pond from a plastic stock tank?

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a pond in my backyard, but looking at how much a fiberglass pond shell cost is making me think there is a cheaper way. I saw a plastic stock water tank at the feed store and I bet it would work. Has anyone ever tried this? I see some people use them for above ponds, but I want to put this in the ground. I also know I can buy a liner for a pond but I hear that it does not take long for them to leak.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
you can absolutely use a plastic stock tank. what works best for me is sink it in the ground. make 1000% sure it's level. use whatever you want to make it pretty on the surround. in the bottom, i put (depending on size of stock tank) 4-6 inches of sand. this goes a long way to keeping things clean as natural bacteria & such set up housekeeping & eat the organic matter. once a year it needs to be cleaned out. set your pump about half way to the top so it doesn't suck debris from the bottom & get clogged too easily. putting it in a bio filter is always a good idea too.
fill it with water, run your pump for a few days, set your plants & run for a few days, then add your fish (if you're having fish).

the edge needs to be covered w/boulders or whatever because the pvc will break down in the sun sooner than you want it to.

let us know how it goes.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
YES, my father has the sweetest little fish pond complete with water fall that he used a stock tank for. I will look for a photo and post it soon. ;)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes my MIL has an amazing setup with multiple ponds made from stock tanks, that are recessed into the ground. She's been very sucessful with fish, frogs, and turtles in them. She has the edge of a wooden patio/porch structure right up along part of it, and rocks and plants all around the rest, you hardly even notice that its a stock tank. Oh and she's in a hotter climate than i am, and built a pergola over the whole thing to keep the water cooler.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is an option too:

8721_tiretopond.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
8098_dads_pond.jpg

Here is my 86 year old Father's fish pond. He put it in last summer...all by himself. :)
(It needs more rock to hide edge but great-grandchildren just keep knocking them in!)
It is not showing up real good but there is a bubbling water fall at the left end.
Have fun creating your own water feature.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mother-in-law's beautiful backyard and pond. She and her BF did everything themselves...including the cool circular wooden shade over the top of the pond.

8229_idaho_trip_047.jpg

8229_idaho_trip_046.jpg

Latest posts