Garden Progression Pics! Dial-up Warning, sorry folks. UPDATE, page 1!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well,

I dug all of this with a shovel, and I was SORE. Pretty sad since Im only 17, but it was terrible.

This pic was taken on April 9th. Excuse the mess, it was time for Spring Cleaning! I believe the area I dug was 20 ft X 25 ft, but I expanded it so it might be more. Or maybe it was 20 X 25 AFTER I expanded, Im not sure!

004.jpg

This was taken on April 20th. We had finished planting Peppers and Eggplants.

013.jpg

April 27th: We had added a row of Tomatoes, and went into major irrigation mode. Once the water starts flowing, there is no stopping it!

497.jpg

Here it is on May 5th. We had just finished planting it all with seeds. Corn, Squash, Okra, Flowers and other assorted things.

019.jpg

Garden on the 13th. Its hard to see what's going on because the Nut Grass exploded after irrigation, but there are veggies in there!

438.jpg

On the 18th, Nut Grass Free!

004-4.jpg

Corn on the 18th. My grandma said to plant is close incase some seeds didnt germinate, Im pretty sure EVERY seed germinated!

016-2.jpg

And here it was on the 21st. It doesnt look like much of a difference, but it really is!

431-2.jpg

433-2.jpg

Sorry for all the pics, I hope you enjoy!

Well, here we are 10 days later! The garden has exploded, for sure!

Here is the corn today, before I thinned it.

004-7.jpg

The whole garden...

006-7.jpg

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Congratulations, it looks great!! Pretty impressive that you dug all that yourself and the fact that you are only 17 and are willing to do all that and have such an interest in gardening is awesome.Having the experience and knowledge of gardening at a young age will serve you well later on. Wish you a succesful and bountiful harvest.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Awesome Jordan! It's looking great! I'm really glad that you posted some update pix. I was thinking about this the other day and hoping it was going well for you. Glad to see that it is! :D

I look forward to the next installment!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, excellent job! It's a lot of work to break ground on a new garden site; I'm not surprised that you were sore! :weight

It looks like everything is coming along nicely!

Where does the irrigation water come from? I had a small garden that I irrigated like that once, and what I did to help keep the water from continuing on and watering the weeds, was put wood, and concrete blocks, at the end of the rows, on the opposite end of the water source.

Some cover crops this fall, left until spring, then turned under, might discourage the grasses a little, and then you'll have the benefit of improved soil, too! :)

Well, I'm really impressed, even though I am on dial-up and had lots of meditating time as the photos loaded. ;) Just kidding, I loved it, they were worth the wait, and I hope you'll treat us to more, as the garden continues to mature! :happy_flower

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Simple! Yeah, my grandma took care of me while my parents worked and we were always in the garden, so I took a love to growing stuff quite early in life. That's also the reason why I have poultry and livestock! Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Thanks, Shelly! It's going pretty good for me, I just hate pulling weeds... but who doesnt?! I'll have to get a new pic after the next irrigation, the plants should explode.

Thanks, Tutter! It was pretty tough, but I had help from my mom somewhat, but she liked to ditch me after about 30 minutes, where I worked for 8 hours a day,lol. We have a valve like thing in the back of the pasture that we open up every two weeks that irrigates the whole property, there is really no way of stopping it unless we close it, and everything needs water. We want the water in the garden, so its no problem, we just didnt build the ridges high enough to get out of the water completely! We do it every year, and never have any problems so I guess its ok. I've thought about cover crops too, weeds are the devil's work,lol. Thanks! I'll definitely keep everyone updated, I love posting pictures.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jordon, you are quite the young man, you did a fabulous job on your garden. It looks great, keep up the good work, I'm sure your family is proud of you.

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Beautiful! I hope you will continue to post pictures of your garden progress..and you should be very proud...Dixie

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Laura. I really do appreciate all of your nice comments. I know for a fact that my grandma is proud of me. The rest of her grandkids arent really interested and her and I are really close. She's taught me about caring for everything on her property as I've grown up so I'll be able to keep everything going when the time comes for her to head on up to Heaven! She's my best friend, we are Gardening Buddies. My parents are proud, but my dad is really happy for fresh veggies,lol. Thanks again.

Thanks, Dixie! I will keep everyone updated, I just havent had time to get out there and take pics! I'll try to get some this week. We irrigated yesterday so everything should be getting nice and big.

HenHaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Jordan, your garden looks great! I bet your grandma is proud as punch to have a grandson like you to help do the hard labor that it takes to prepare and grow a garden!

You don't have any problems with the chickens getting in there? Lynn

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jordan you did a fantastic job. Glad to see a person your age intrested in gardening and helping their grandparents. You are special young person.

Latest posts