garden space left, what to do with it?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got 20' by 4' left to plant. I need suggestions on what to put there. Have watermelons, cucumbers, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow crookneck, cantalope, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, sweet potatoes, peas, cabbage, different lettuces, kohlrabi, sweet corn, pumpkins, carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic, radishes and a spot for okra (first batch didn't come up).

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, needs to be annuals. I've got 20' X 6' for perennials and herbs. I've got rhubarb, oregano along with flowers there. Another spot 4' X 25' w/asparagus--I'm sick of transplanting crowns. Ready to sacrifice the other ones..........

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Amaranth? Gooseberries? Garden Huckleberries?

Be adventurous :D
Tell me about them. We grew them when I was a kid and never could figure out how to use them. Really bad so we must have been doing something wrong. They were great on production tho.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector said:
fingerling potatoes, if its not to late in your neck of the woods!
no kidding? I figured it was way too late for potatoes. Now to find some seed potatoes.

KelpticFest

Sprout
Reaction score
For seed potatoes, I buy organic potatoes at the Whole Foods store. Presumably they haven't been treated to resist sprouting, and they are WAY cheaper than genuine "seed potatoes". Yes, they grow well. Reds and Yukon Golds so far.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See now, if Seedcorn didn't have so many vining crops -- he'd have more than 20' by 4' left for us to play with!! (watermelon, cucumbers, squash, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, pumpkins ;))

Where are your greens, Seedcorn?! Except for cabbage . . . where you gonna get your folates? Okay, I guess that asparagus will really help. Seems like you said you've already got some.

. . . We just gotta plan on body cell division otherwise we might turn into statues!

Since it is probably running even later for greens than potatoes - I think I'll vote for spuds, too. Don't go for any late varieties, tho'!! Oh no! See, after you harvest the earlies -- you can go back in that 20' by 4' and plant greens!!

Steve :p
edited to add: the incriminating "watermelon & cucumbers" - had a copy&paste malfunction

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm saving my garden spot for collards. In 7b we're supposed to plant around July 25 if I interpreted the map right. I love tender collard greens and they freeze well.

Latest posts