garden space left, what to do with it?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just got seeds for huckleberries, so I have never used them. But I try to get seeds for something different every year. I don't have a place for them right now so I will plant them next year.

Since in have grape vines I was planning on mixing huckleberry with grape if the huckleberry flavor was too intense.

My experiment crop this year was supposed to be quinoa. Then my neighbor sprayed her driveway with pesticides on a windy day and got it all over my plants :rolleyes:

Love lies bleeding amaranth is doing well. It is decorative, can be used for greens or you can eat the seeds or feed them to your critters so you might want to try that.

And Steve is right. More greens. Since I just tried the kale chip recipe and it was delicious, kale would be a good green to try.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Direct seed some fall crops, maybe? I'm saving a couple rows for brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and overwintering carrots.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, Steve, I do have some greens--spinache but it is starting to bolt because of heat. Cabbage isn't a green? I do have a small start of arugala. On sand, greens don't do well in July/August. Do green beans count as a "green"? :lol:

I will start some cabbage for fall along w/broccoli. I have enough turnip seeds for fall to feed a small army.

Good luck on the garden huckleberries. Been there, done that, never again. We could never find any time to harvest them when they weren't pitiful. So when you find a use/time, I'd love to know because they are productive.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, beet greens!

;)

Cabbage is a green. And, green beans DO count as "green" -- I just didn't want to cut you any slack, Seedcorn :p!

I do not like arugula ~ I'd rather eat radish greens! In fact, I do eat radish greens!

Steve

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Try some fast growing asian greens. Also ground cherries grow fast. Swish chard and kale.Radish and beets.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Ground cherries. Mine did great last year. Then everyone told me they would seed all over the place so I blew off starting plants for this year. Of course none grew on their own, but I have seeds for next year :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you sure, Wife? Check all around for those ground cherries- they won't be where you left them... Mine moved about 10 feet into the chicken yard!

Latest posts