Garden Spacing

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I say 3 ft....but I have stepping stones going through a new bed which will mostly likely only leave me 20" of walking space in that bed when it fills out.

But to work comfortably for long periods of time, 3 ft.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another vote for 3 feet! Even though sometimes it's not quite that much in my garden. Plus, depending on the plants you are growing, that space shrinks considerably by the time they mature... like corn or tomatos or squash or...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IMO it depends what they're rows between. If it is rows between a densely-planted 3' wide "wide row" or square-foot-style block, I need a wider path b/c I have to bend and reach wayyy over and need room to arrange my feet (and sometimes butt :p) to do that.

Whereas if it is rows between tomatoes, I don't mind tiptoeing along a 10" wide board through the tomato jungle.

For bush beans also I only need the narrowest of paths, b/c I plant them in a 2' wide swath (3-4 plants wide) and straddle it to pick them, so I just need room for one shoe on each side of the row.

If you have a giant market-style garden and need to get a tiller or a wheelbarrow in there, obviously you need rows that are sized accordingly.

So it just depends :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
3' for everything except maybe corn... then you might be able to go with 2 1/2", but everything does fill out quiet a bit before the harvest.

Latest posts