Garden Vent

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I really never let this bother me until today...

So, over the years I gift lots from my garden, I teach many classes from it... canning, chickens, gardening basics...ect. I do charge for that time, and I don't make very much, and the rest of the time it all goes out the door for free. Mainly the produce goes out the door for free!

Each year, I have several friends and neighbors ask me to 'teach them', show them to do it for themselves. They always comes over to walk through the gardens, touch, smell and pick things. Each season I say, come over once a week and help some. Help weed, plant, move mulch, harvest and clean things... then take some home for your families for helping. I grow enough for this entire neighborhood these days! Every single year I get 1 or 2 people who get hyped up and say they'll be here for SURE!

Every year.... no one EVER shows up. Not even for 1 hot sweaty day!

I just wish people would stop telling me they will and then just chicken out for whatever reason. Sometimes they don't even give me a reason, they just don't show up... or I hear the endless excuses. But for whatever reason, they still take home free produce. They don't even pick it themselves. They harvest it out of buckets on my counter from all my hard work. 'Thank you' just isn't cutting it anymore!!!

:barnie

Vent over.... :throw

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So now that you have acknowledged to yourself that you are tired of being taken advantage of, what are you willing to do about it? Can you just grow enough for yourself and your family? It just seems pointless to keep growing gobs of stuff that people aren't willing to pay for or return favors for. Just stop offering it. (Until the leaf lettuce bed needs to be thinned, or the zucchini produces more than you want) I don't think non-gardeners realize what all went into that bag of produce, all the work, blisters, compost, running out to cover up plants during a cold snap, working out in 100 degree weather trying to harvest. All the watering! It's like they think they are doing you a favor by taking it off your hands. You may have to start composting some of your prize veggies occasionally, but you may also have more time to do something else fun. And if you can't possibly grow less, maybe you can hook up with a charity that could use the food. At least you might get a tax write-off for all your donations. Just sayin'......

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Understand your frustrations.

IMO, you are the problem. If that is how you want to operate, work (help) for knowledge or goods, make them. Don't allow them to help themselves. You are enabling them.

I'm like my Dad. I don't want anyone in my garden-includes my wife. She sometimes does more damage than good. I pick it, give to people. No complaints.

For me, my garden time is my therapy away from people, phones, problems, etc. Just me, soil, plants and dufus dog. & sometimes the cat and chickens. Although the chickens rate there with wife.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
understand your vent too well...

back when i started growing blackberries, being generous person would take the extras into work and share the bounty. they would rave over the berries, would tell them to come over and you can pick your own nope not a soul would come over, they would rather we pick them and they would eat them.. kind of made me think.....
a couple years later went to the new farmers market in greensboro, and saw local vendors selling them for a fair price and not even the same quality as ours.
the following year i started to sell them, heard from a few people why? all i told them ...have you seen the price in the supermarket for a pint and they are tart, have not heard a gripe since then..
and over the years have only raised the price twice...
6 a quart or 20 a gallon

a vast majority of people think homegrown produce is cheaper than store bought, needless to say these people are clueless into what it takes.
power
fuel
water
fertilizer
and most of all your time and sweat to raise the produce......

but when it comes down to it at the end of the day. take care of you and your family first.!!!!!
after that at least sell your produce to break even or make a little profit, you<we>are a local cottage industry....

just tell them.. with the increase cost of everything, sorry but i hope you understand will need to start charging a small price. the freeloaders will stop, and the ones who stay will be your greatest asset in the long run.
and yes if you can trade produce for a service..... go for it.

here we always plant extra that we give to a local woman's shelter couple times a year, now that's worth your sweat!!!!!!

closing my vent, it's your garden..

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, it is cheaper for them if you give it to them.... :)

I agree, fresh homegrown, picked correctly is more expensive per unit than commercial grown for a lot of reasons. If you want to sell your produce, respect yourself and your product, price it accordingly.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Major, it is cheaper for them if you give it to them.... :)

I agree, fresh homegrown, picked correctly is more expensive per unit than commercial grown for a lot of reasons. If you want to sell your produce, respect yourself and your product, price it accordingly.
what we do sell is 50% of supermarkets , so we break even.
except our berries....;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I offered neighbors 50/50 for free blueberries. Pick the berries and give me half. Instead my neighbor called up my sweet son who was a teen at the time and asked him to pick and bring her some blueberries. Not only do they not want to help in any way they want it picked and delivered. I do currently have 2 other friends who want to help in the garden in exchanged for veggies. I am happy for the help and explained that they had to understand that hour by hour gardening is not worth it from a dollar per hour point of view. They have both had a garden and now do not, so I hope they do understand.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem since you mentioned teaching classes and you are only 2 hours from me.
yes i would be willing to come out on a weekend and help pull weeds and get sweaty for a day to learn something from a gardener such as you, there is always something new to learn.....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess the biggest part of my gripe is the people who offered, and didn't bother to show up. When I offer some to a visitor or my mother its kind of a gift... and they didn't even ask! :) I am mad at myself for telling them its no big deal, when really to me it is. :/

Sometimes, I do take some veggies up to the stand down the road and they give me 50% of what they sell theirs for, which is awesome... that makes me happy. This year I'm also donating to the local food bank, so that will make me feel good.

I knew you would all understand because I was certain I wasn't the only gardener who was being taken advantage of for our amazing food! :D

Now to just kick myself in the butt and stop being a weenie.... :weight

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mind giving away stuff if it was my idea. ;) Sounds like your friends have come to expect a handout. Maybe you'll have to hide your fresh-picked produce from them. :p

I understand your frustration though...you're like the Little Red Hen!

Latest posts