Garden Vent

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
i will say this in this economy the daily household needs have jumped up from 100 to 300% in the last 5 years.
so anything you can do to put a little back into your household finances while having fun in the garden ....go for it

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey beat me to it *I was thinking LITTLE RED HEN!*
For the last 2 summers my husband had DIL look at seed catalogs and pick out what she wanted to grow. He placed her order (And paid with ours.) Then we tilled, planted, weeded, harvested, etc.... she never once showed up until we had it in buckets to take home! After the 1st summer I told DH do NOT offer to place and order or do the work for her. He did it again. Thought she would surely help out...HA!!!! Then we find out what she would take home was let go to waste. Not this year. I am tired of feeling like the LITTLE RED HEN. We are planting only what we want and if she wants any surplus she has to come and get it herself. I am done doing the work for her. Son says fine. He is not at all interested in gardening. Will pick enough for a meal and be satified. She tends to be a bit greedy/selfish. MY MIL is in her 80's and loves to come help pick and preserve. I have no problem giving her LOTS and often send extra for her to hand out to her neighbors. (They live on limited incomes.) So I do understand your rant. And thanks for letting me rant. :rant

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The irony....

My daughter dressed as the Little Red Hen for the school story day last month- costume made last minute by mommy! lol

5842_little-red-hen.jpg

But I sure do get you guys... there is always someone who'll treat us like a doormat. :(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, you are growing primo, beautiful produce that is healthy, untainted by commercial chemicals and grown with a true deep love of the soil and the bounty of the earth. These dolt heads that unashamedly take gross advantage of your goodness do not deserve so much as the potato peelings destined for the chicken coop. Love your labors, love yourself. Spread your bounty to those who truly need and appreciate it.

My Daddy loved to grow a garden. His excess was directed to the widows at church. They had a need for it and they appreciated it. Cut off the freeloaders, or tell them you are now selling at the farmers market and price it to them. If they don't want to pay, then don't play.

Rant over.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, the answer is in you. You just have to have the courage to say NO when someone undeserving asks for free produce. Tell them you are selling it and are willing to give a family/friends discount. If they really want to learn they can pay to take your classes. I think you are being too kind and people are taking advantage of that.

I am very selective to whom I give eggs or veggies to. They are people who have helped me out and I want to show my appreciation for it.

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i certainly know how it feels to be like the little red hen. i had been part of an organization for a few years that was dwindling down to only a few very active members. it seems that everyone who would join only wanted the organization's name to put on a resume but never showed up to help at the events to do work after promising they would. or they would show up just to disappear in the crowds and not be seen till the next big event (we put on the fireworks in our city for many years and worked a fair food booth). the final straw was when i did a Relay for Life project to help raise funds for cancer and one lady who showed up (she was an aged out member who was still very loyal and a great friend), came with her young nephews and nieces in tow to help do the walking (boy did they have a lot of energy to burn :D )! a few others showed but sat at the tent for a couple hours and then took off, never did any official walking during their time. :( and others again just didn't show up.

i had the same thing happen for years when it came to gardening. sure i would give to family which i didn't mind, and my mom would occasionally give me money since she knew how much time i spent working on my stuff. but i would have friends that come over and compliment me on the garden and want to know how to do it all. i tell them i will till a spot if they are willing to grow it themselves but no one takes me up on that offer. one friend actually bought some seeds one year and handed them to me and told me to get them started for her. :/ she completely forgot that i was growing certain plants for her when it came time to get them in the ground and told me i could grow them in my own garden for her instead. :rolleyes: i should have known. she had moved that year so it probably was best i kept them for myself.

happens with my perennials too. i had a nice collection of hosta and daylilies at my other house and friends would see and comment on them, want some for themselves but always ask that i bring them over to plant, then stand around while i'm planting them. one friend i found out after i had planted some beautiful hosta in her yard a few years ago just ripped it all out and tossed the living plants in the garbage instead of dividing them to replant somewhere else or sell off. if i had known she was going to do that i think i would have dug those plants back out and brought them to their home dirt! :lol:

everyone loves the plants but no one is willing to get their hands dirty to do the work themselves!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Maybe you can make a cute little sign and post it near your garden. "I pay for this beautiful produce with my time, sweat, blisters, an aching back, tired swore muscles and dirty rough hands. You can pay for this produce that way too OR leave a donation in the can." And then put a can out there.

Pretty sure most people will get the message and who knows...maybe you'll get some help. :D

PS... I understand your frustration.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
Maybe you can make a cute little sign and post it near your garden. "I pay for this beautiful produce with my time, sweat, blisters, an aching back, tired swore muscles and dirty rough hands. You can pay for this produce that way too OR leave a donation in the can." And then put a can out there.

Pretty sure most people will get the message and who knows...maybe you'll get some help. :D

PS... I understand your frustration.
BRILLIANT!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess that a lot of modern folks feel that gardening is a downgrade of humanity. They only think that because their brains feel they have to be uber modern. Everyone wants their own office to sit in, people to boss around, or even a person to do the bossing around for them.

Problem is, in reality that is exactly the downgrade of humanity, and the gardener, staying with the earth, is managing beauty and productivity, life itself. Deep inside, those rich and powerful office sitting folks are jealous and lazy, the ultimate downgrade. Maybe that's why when seen on the highway in their brand new hotrods all chrome and shiny, their faces so often look grumpy. 40 years of grumpy being the powerful boss. How sad. I'd rather help nature create beauty and be happy.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You all make me feel much better about what I do out in the yard. I have a huge amount of pride that goes with all I do, and I always thought sharing my produce and work would let others know just how much I do. I don't complain, I have a smile on my face, and I continue to thrive out in the garden. I can't help I want to share that with the people, they just want the produce part and I want them to feel the pride and success of actually growing it! :rolleyes:

There are some good things to come from what I do, and if they are too slow to see that, they can miss out on all of it then.... even the produce! :D

My husband planted some bush beans in his own area a couple weeks ago, his attempt at getting involved. They popped up today and to see the excitement on his face just lit me up!!! That's the experience I wanted for him. He even admitted its exciting to experience it, and he never realized how I felt doing this before. So at least someone is interested in helping, and earning his meals! Hehehee Maybe next year he'll plant more then a few feet of beans?

Latest posts