Gardeners from Idaho and western Washington

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you seen the weather report for the rest of August and September? It looks like 80s and 70s. I want to plant bok choy for fall. Should I start them inside now? What about Swiss chard? I MEAN EASTERN LOL

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a little odd to think of a state with a Pacific coastline as having an east side ;). I think of the Interior of the western states as the Wild West! It's not like there are many coastal elites from places like Manhattan unless they have a vacation home or they are flying over at 36,000 feet headed somewhere else.

Wetside and Dryside also works.

I have bok choy seed already in a garden bed. Should see the sprouts by this weekend. If I plant any more, it will be in about a week/ten days and I'll imagine that for the winter greenhouse and December.

Chard, I don't know about. Beet seed sown late has been a total failure. They didn't want to grow in the heat but then frost stopped them from even getting started in the fall.

The extremes at this time of year are trouble for plants and difficult to anticipate for the gardener. Three or four weeks of benign weather, without too severe immediately preceding, and many plants can grow like crazy. Hot and dry changing to cold and dry - may leave them tiny and clinging to life.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a little odd to think of a state with a Pacific coastline as having an east side ;).

Steve

Don’t ask me for directions. LOL. You know I meant east. Only Washington is west of me, so it is all western Washington. Lol. I am going to start bok choy. I am ahead of last year by bringing in kale and collards and picking the outside leaves. The aphids, missed me? I am going to pull any plants that look bad and I am moving rabbit manure and old straw to the garden. This year I am going to have it covered before it snows.

Latest posts