Gardenias

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello,
I have another question for the garden gurus. I have three gardenia plants all in the same bed. the bed and plants were already here when I bought the house. I live in zone 8a (SE Lousiana). Of the three plants only one looks good. the othter two are always yelllow looking while the healthy one is a nice dark green. They get the same amount of water. the only difference is that the one plant is slightly under a tree limb and get more shade.
So, do you think it is a shade thing? I read that they were a full sun plant.

Ok, ok thanks in advance

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have many gardenias in the shade. If I were you I would fertilize the soil around the other two that are yellowey. They like acidic soil so you can put old coffee grounds and coffee plus pine needles to naturaly fertilize the soil. If you have access to chicken manure I would also put some old manure around the plants. New manure will burn the plants. I hope this helps. I don't think shade is the problem. :) Happy Gardening!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Would you move the two that are yellow to a more shady spot? they are in the full sun.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try some "Plant tone" fertilizer on the plants first before deciding to move them. They may just need an extra kick. I had to move some azaleas when I moved here and lost one that turned from yellow to brown. I needed an acid based fertilizer and they wouldn't have been fine... I wish I knew them. But I still have 6 plants left and 2 left I need to move to make room for more FLOWERS!!!! :D

Check your local nursery for this... its a special blend and its organic so I use it on everything from the lawn to my tomatoes... good stuff!!!

Latest posts