Gardening Book

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So this has been posted before but I am looking for a gardening book. One that is for both veggies and flowers and every thing else. Kind of like an encyclopedia of sorts with the detail. I think it will probably be more expensive. Do you guys have any idea of one?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about your library :) Seriously :)

There are lots and lots of books like that, and honestly I don't really have any opinions regarding some being better than others. I've seen few poor ones; I've seen few that really distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack.

Probably the most important thing for you is to look for one that is, ideally, aimed at your region of the country; or if not, then at least NOT ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN ENGLAND. Seriously, there are a whole lot of north-american-edition-of-a-basically-british-book gardening books out there, and they can seriously mislead a novice gardener because even when yearly low temperatures are the same, the british climate (and often soil) are VERY differnet from most north american places :p

Have fun,

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Probably the most important thing for you is to look for one that is, ideally, aimed at your region of the country; or if not, then at least NOT ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN ENGLAND. Seriously, there are a whole lot of north-american-edition-of-a-basically-british-book gardening books out there, and they can seriously mislead a novice gardener because even when yearly low temperatures are the same, the british climate (and often soil) are VERY differnet from most north american places :p
+1

In-laws are British. Pretty much, you throw a seed, any seed, in any direction in England, and it grows into a big beautiful plant spontaneously without further assistance. MIL swears that this is not 100% accurate, but she agrees that gardening in England spoiled her for everywhere else. The thing about the UK climate is that while it never gets as cold as it does here, it never gets as hot either. To them, 12" of snow is a horrid disaster and 25 degree F temps are a deep freeze--but 85 degree F temps are also considered a dreadful heat wave! In parts of the US where it never gets below 25F, the summers routinely get into triple digits. Their concept of "drought stress" is similarly limited. You buy a Gertrude Jekyll book and try to take the advice therein, and for sure you'll be convinced you've got a brown thumb. You don't, it's just that British gardeners are spoilt.

Also bear in mind that in the UK, it's more normal to have a garden as well as a bit of grass. They figure gardening is like taking out the trash or cooking, it's just a chore that people do from childhood. They get more practice than the avg. USAian.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have read a lot of books for the library. I was just looking for a one stop book.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe I'm an internet dork... I do a lot of research online... and when I really need more info... I come here. If I REALLY need to know something and I'm not finding it... that will be the day I buy a book.

If I were you I would find a book the revolves around planting in your area specificly.

Latest posts