Gardening Categories and Forums

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay,

I need help deciding on what Gardening Categories and Forums to use on the site. I'd like to start off with the most basic / popular topics and then branch out from there. How do you like the current list? What do you suggest should be added / changed?

Kentucky~Momma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How about something about preserving what you have grown, whether it be canning or freezing, everyone has questions and tips and tricks. I know that it could be put into the Everything else forum, but they might get lost there.

I also really like the idea of the garden pests. I know it took a lot of different things, but we finally figured out how to keep the deer away from the garden so they quit eating everything.

The things I think about when I can't sleep...... I think of y'all.

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maybe an Indoor Gardening section? Skip and I are avid Orchid junkies, they are evil, like Silkies...:lol:

Dawn

Skeeter

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How to keep Deer out of the garden!!! Here we have an abundance of deer, all year around. Tips and tricks to deter them would be great.

hinkjc

Sprout
Reaction score
I like Garden Pests - this can cover anything from bugs to weeds and combatting them.

I was also thinking of Animal plots - growing food for pets or wild animals. For example, we grow small corn patches that are all hand tilled and managed. We eat what we can and leave the rest for the wild animals (deer, turkey, etc). We grow sorghum for our pheasant, turkey and quail and leave some for the wilds. This can also cover growing excess tomatoes and pumpkins for chickens, turkeys, etc.

Jody

ChickenBreath

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Skeeter said:
How to keep Deer out of the garden!!! Here we have an abundance of deer, all year around. Tips and tricks to deter them would be great.
Deer seldom come around during the daytime if there's activity outside. Get a few turkeys and use them for guard dogs. At night, let the DH pull guard duty. That should do the trick - :lol:

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all! Keep the suggestions coming. I'm doing some research on my end as well and hope to put together some additionally helpful categories and forums.

It can be pretty tricky to find just the right categories because you don't want to have too few forums where things end up being jumbled, but you also don't want too many which can confuse people and make it hard to find information.