Gardening Categories and Forums

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The existing "Compost" might want to be "Compost and Soil", to include things like how do I tell what kind of soil I have, what do I do about this ^%@(#& clay, what's the best thing to adjust pH for blueberries, etc.

Pat

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
The existing "Compost" might want to be "Compost and Soil", to include things like how do I tell what kind of soil I have, what do I do about this ^%@(#& clay, what's the best thing to adjust pH for blueberries, etc.

Pat
Oooh.... good idea!

<stupid clay soil!>

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nifty, how about "Heirlooms" as a catagory for this forum? I bet at least a few people grow some, I know I'll be trying some when we get our garden going next Spring, and I for one would like some feedback/knowledge on any heirlooms grown.

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK... I'll admit it. The only thing I ever grew was a zucchini and my sheep ate it. I have been dreaming of having a nice little veggie garden for years, but it seemed confusing (zones, fertilizers, PH levels, soil types...) I never got past the "dreaming" stage.
Could you add a section for absolutely, know-nothing, rank beginners? Maybe some stickies in a "How To" section? :D

Edited to add:

Oh... and how about a section for canning and preserving questions? Thanks!

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, keep them coming!

sunnychooks said:
Could you add a section for absolutely, know-nothing, rank beginners? Maybe some stickies in a "How To" section? :D
Very interesting idea, thanks! We're working to build a companion site to this forum with articles, how-to's, etc. (similar to the BYC / BYC forum relationship) and there will definitely be beginner sections. In general it is usually better form for a forum to have beginner questions go in their respective areas instead of having all types of beginner subjects in one beginner section. With that said, it may be a good idea to have a mix of both so we'll add the suggestion to the list of idea.

Thanks!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Suggestion - Don't put Fruits & Vegetables together. Make a Fruits line and a Veggies line.
Thanks for starting this Nifty!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Shallots said:
Suggestion - Don't put Fruits & Vegetables together. Make a Fruits line and a Veggies line.
Thanks for starting this Nifty!
I agree. I think you'll also do better to separate flowers and roses. If I were Queen the subforums would be:

Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements
New Gardeners Start here! (this would be a FAQ section once we have a few FAQs :) )
Edible Gardening:
subforum: Growing Vegetables and Herbs
subforum: Growing Fruits (small and large)
subforum: Preserving the harvest
Flower Gardening:
Roses (I wonder if there will be enough of a demand for this sub? There are lots of good rose forums out there....
Growing Trees and shrubs
Landscape care
subforum: Lawn care
subforum: Trees & Shrubs
Garden Pests
Composting & Soil Building
Organic Gardening
Indoor & Greenhouse Gardening
Everything Else Gardening
Me, My Garden, My Family
Buy, Sell, Giveaway

That's my compilation from current suggestions. FWIW! :)

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, Reinbeau, great stuff up above! Thanks for compiling that into such a nice list!!!

Another idea is something similar to what is on BYC for "where am I, where are you" but instead of by state or city, do it by region? That way all the people in similar climates could discuss what they have success planting and when they plant it.

What do you think?

Latest posts