Gardening Programs on PBS

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I wanted to mention that I've started recording/watching "Illinois Gardener," which is a PBS program with AG educators from the University of Illinois as a panel who answer questions. It's helpful for ME because they live and garden here, too, so there aren't any real different zone issues. For instance, on last Saturday's broadcast they mentioned that apple and grape vine pruning is to be done (HERE) in February. I also found out that Amarylis are to be cold-hardened off. They were talking about seeing them in February in the walkways between university greenhouses, dormant and on their sides, to keep them from sprouting early. (Also said that they'll bloom for 50 years, if you take care of them! Amazing!! :ep )
These universities receive public funding and have an obligation to share knowledge. I think they're a pretty good place to go to ask for help. Just another FYI, worth the price you just paid for it. :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just another FYI, worth the price you just paid for it.
And that's the neat thing about PBS--it's free! :D

I'll have to check our local PBS programming schedule. I haven't seen anything like that on ours yet.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wish PBS carried something like that, here. Seems that their programming "went to pot" after they cancelled the Red Green Show.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We still get the Red Green show on our station. I like him, he reminds me of my grandpa!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I still get Red Green as well ? oh maybe it is on Canadian tv now? No I saw it on PBS I am sure of it! I would be sad not to see it anymore either he is great!

I have gotten my amarylis to bloom in the garden here by just planting it! I was stunned it came back 2 years before I forgot to compost it well and we froze hard here one year

I used to love Victory Garden but not anymore it is so different from the way it was and the guy who cooks :p well he is not Marian Morash I tell you

P Allan Smith ...eh he is ok

we have Cisco Morris who is a transplanted "WISCHEEZEKIN"
hyper to say the least but gives good local advice ..he is not on PBS however he is on a network as a local program

we used to have Ed Hume until he became "everybody's"

I wish I could find more local shows I liked

I miss Mel Bartholomew and shows like that where we were really instructed as to what we could do with our gardens and smaller homesteads

P Allan has a lot of money obviously!!! LOTS! plus the climate he is in is so different I can only appreciate his general advice

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And don't EVEN get me started on HGTV........should change the name to HTV, cause there ain't nothing "Garden" about it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
To be honest, that's one of the few advantages living here--a University with a "guilt complex." :lol: Here's their website:
http://will.illinois.edu/ig

Seriously, if you call the University outreach departments they will literally talk your ear off. I called once when we moved out into the country about getting my well water tested. I happened to get an equine vet, and he had me on the phone for at least 30 minutes--you'd think they "didn't get out much." (Of course, I was happy to talk shop about my favorite subjects--sorry, guys, horses have it over ANY other subject with me.) My horses are THEY REASON I moved to my property. I'm buying a Standardbred this week--he also rides, and for those who don't know, Standardbreds are the trotter/pacer racehorses with the little carts behind them--and I just might put HIM to work in my garden, too! Got some more heavy cement pieces to move, you know. :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Red Green Show was originally a Canadian show... some PBS stations picked it up, but it is an import to you ;)

Victory Garden hasn't been the same since the original guy left, what was his name, something Crockett? The guy who succeeded him was ok too I guess... but it has sure strayed far now from its roots.

Pat

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this post--hey, Pat, CONGRATULATIONS on the marvelous Gold Medal winning Canadian Ice Dancing pair last night. They were so fluid in their performance, and it was just glorious to have done so at home. When the audience sang the National Anthem along with them, I was almost in tears!!
...again, really sorry for the hijack!!!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They dropped Red Green from our local PBS affiliate. Our library has an interloan system and I can get Red Green movies and a certain degree of weekly episodes.

Ducks4you-- hahaha- I must be connecting with the same ext., lol! What talkers! And on my dime because I am long distance from e-v-e-r-y-body!!!
:barnie

Latest posts