Gardening With Children

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gav plantin seeds..jpg
Gavin, my very sweet 6 year old Grandson came over after school yesterday for fun with Grandma. We hiked, fed the animals, played basketball, and walked the naughty dog. He cut and ate a bowl full of fresh herbs. Then he helped plant 3 big trays of seed. He has been gardening since he could walk. So skilled by kindergarten.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My kids and grandkids are coming out today and I'm so excited I can barely sit still! They come out often but not nearly as often as I would like....I'd love it if they lived right next door.

Gonna have some fun with those little girls..it's a bright and warm day and lots to do out there.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 9-year-old daughter has been helping me in the garden since she was 3 and now can start her own plants and grow them just as well as I can. It's such a rewarding thing for them to see how they can put their effort in and quickly see the results. The county fairs have open class produce exhibits they can enter and most will give prize money for the ribbons. I noticed a lot of heirloom produce being shown last year at ours, which was really exciting to me.

Definitely get good quality seeds as your whole crop output depends on it. A reputable seed supplier will test for germination rate and stamp the date on the back. Anything you can get from the seed rack at Walmart like Burpee will grow well. I see you are in Arkansas. Call around and see if any of your feed 'n' seed places are a Southern States co-op. You can get larger packets of seed from them that have excellent germination rates and are proven varieties that are known to do well in your area. Put your extras in the freezer and you will get at least 3 good years out of most things...or quite a bit more on some. I've got a packet of their Sugar Snap Peas that I've been growing for nearly 10 years now, all freezer kept. That might be one way to make it a little more economical anyway. And look into saving your own seed as well, which is really fun and also educational for the kids.

I hope you'll update as the summer goes on and let us know how their gardens are doing. :)

Latest posts