Gardening with small children

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I did this for a preschool I used to work at. We started germinating the seeds so the students could see what that was about & then planted them in the garden area, the students helped with that & the watering too. When we started harvesting items we talked aobut the different ways to use the produce & how we do or don't like things. We talked about how the pilgrams just had so much to eat the first yr & how they gardened the next yr. I also prepared some dishes with the produce for their snack time. We also allowed the parents to take home the extra zukes(as there were plenty). I live in a zone 8/9 & I can grow things yr round here. The most important thing to remember is that the soil needs to be well amended to grow a good crop. This also can be used for science aspect as it deals with the composistion of the soil.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
gudrin said:
vfem: What day in March? My daughter will turn two on the 14th. If you don't want to say, that's fine too.

Beth
She'll be 2 on the 9th! My nephew will be 1yr on the 15th! March seems like a popular time to have kids the last couple of years! LOL

Its just crazy how ready they are do so much stuff!!! A year ago she was walking and talking, but her motor skills were limited and now we have conversations and she wants to learn and help with EVERYTHING.

She was just helping me move some pots from transplanting I've done. She was putting them down on the cart shelves and kissing the leaves telling them "Pretty Flower" "Nice Flower". I wished I had my video camera!!!!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi and welcome ajs!

We have a local elementary school doing very much the same thing as far as the garden area. Our local high school has an FFA chapter which will be involved as well as our local county extension office. If you have those two resources available to you they will be very helpfull.

Another idea might be to try and involve local gardening groups.

Good luck!

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I helped start a Butterfly Garden with the second grade where I taught. We got a grant from the Special Education PTA when they had the grants. We used the money to amend the soil and purchase perrenial plants that would attract the butterflies. We raised butterflies as part of the science unit and let them go in the spring, so it went along beautifully with the topic. We started annuals in the class to add instant color in the spring each year. A lot of fun. See if you can get a grant through the school's PTA and do all of the research before you go for the grant. My advice would be to stick to a flower garden with a purpose instead of a veggie or herb garden because the veggies will not be harvested until the summer/fall when the kids are gone or in the next grade and herbs cvan affect people in different ways. As for keeping it handicap accessible, make sure it doesn't have a raised fence, or the gate is ramped if there is a fence. You can also do raised beds to make it easier for children in wheelchairs to reach. Hope this helps.

As for children in the garden, my son will be 3 this year and helped look through the seed catalogs for the types of beans and pumpkins he wants. Also, he helped plant the peas last year and still remebers it. He has his own tools and gloves and is ready to go when we get the seeds. I also got him his own sunflower seeds to plant. He loves to help weed and was also famous for picking the tomatoes to give to the chikens. The chickens loved him last year. ;)

Sorry for the long post. just 2 topics which really excite me here on this thread. :D

pepperwolfe

Sprout
Reaction score
My daughter is now 10 and she's been helping with the garden for the past few years. Today I told her we needed to get started on the garden and without a single complaint she got her shoes on and went right out with me to help. If it had been anything else. Like clean her room! I would have to fuss at her several times.
So its worth the misspulled plants, the dug in the wrong area holes, too many seeds in one area and not enough in another. With her help we got a large portion of the garden ready for planting
:cool:

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My dd(almost 3) is loving digging in the garden, so far she has not dug anything up she is not supposed to. She likes to help cover the seeds back up. Now it will be a matter of when it is time to start weeding will she pull the plants instead of the weeds.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ajsgramma said:
Hi, I'm new here & could really use some help. My grandson's in 1st grade & I help out at his school.
They're designing a new playground & intend to also have a garden for the students. It will be used in conjunction with different subjects - history, art, science, etc. We also intend to make it handicap accessible.
Has anyone been involved with a project like this before? I could really use some ideas for a starting point.
I've gardened for myself but this is on a whole other level. We're in zone 8 if that helps.
Thanks & (((((HUGS))))), Verna
:welcome
I will 2nd the vote for you to contact your local cooperative extension office. They will be involved with the local Master Gardener program and I am sure you can get a load of help from them.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great subject!! I am truly inspired to get all of my kids involved in Gardening, and there were great suggestions for the ages of all of them! :D

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think gardening is great for the little ones. Its a great opportunity to establish a link between hard work and reward. Above all its a great way for the family to spend time together.

Most two year olds I've encountered wouldn't be able to do much more than make a mess, but i guess that would be fine if in the process, a foundation for greater things is laid. This years dirt pie and mud puddle could be next years award winning pumpkin. With some guidance of course.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We just had a wonderful experience with our 2 year old today. We needed to mulch 7 trees we put in yesterday. I gave her a coffee can and filled it with mulch and she dumped it around our apple/apricot/ and maple tree in perfect little mounds. I showed her how to form it like a donut and not let it set up against the trunk and she did it!!! She was so pleased with herself she gave me five and said "Good job Zoe!"

I love this age!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts