Garlic harvest...

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa, do you have any idea what makes them have big cloves? The only time I tried garlic, the cloves were really small, so it was a pain to use it. Any thoughts?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice Harvest Leasa.

Chris

Time1:24
Temperature 82
Heat Index 87
Wind Speed 0
Barometric Presser 29.91
Humility 71%
Dew Point 72

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think I am going to try garlic this fall. Bought a bunch of seeds a couple of weeks ago and garlic was one of them. I'm kind of new to gardening, so everything is an experiment for me right now. So far, it's been a lot of fun and I love garlic, so I am looking forward to that.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, pops! I have never heard of growing garlic from seed. I will be interested to hear your experience with that. What zone are you gardening in?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Lesa, do you have any idea what makes them have big cloves? The only time I tried garlic, the cloves were really small, so it was a pain to use it. Any thoughts?
It could be that you planted it too deep. Or it could be your zone.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Welcome, pops! I have never heard of growing garlic from seed. I will be interested to hear your experience with that. What zone are you gardening in?
I wonder if by seed he means garlic bulbils? Porcelain bulbils are about the size of rice which could look like seed. I was going to try some bulbils this year.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa when is a good time to plant garlic??? we have first frost here around Labor day so should I think about planting in August so they get a chance to sprout roots before it gets too cold???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The traditional date for planting garlic is Columbus Day- October 10th, or so....You don't want to see any signs of growth, until spring. I do side dress the garlic in the spring with composted chicken poop- judging by the size of those cloves, I would say it works!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
The traditional date for planting garlic is Columbus Day- October 10th, or so....You don't want to see any signs of growth, until spring. I do side dress the garlic in the spring with composted chicken poop- judging by the size of those cloves, I would say it works!
Thanks for that information I am def going to try garlic I will put them in one of our raised beds so we dont forget they are there and rototill them up in the spring...:/

Latest posts