Garlic harvest...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled the garlic this weekend. Some of it was average, but about half of it was huge. I was very pleased! I accidentally grew last years potatoes in among some of the garlic. It was an experiment (since I can't stand to kill a potato plant!) Didn't seem to affect the garlic at all...

5947_garlic_001.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
A hard neck variety. I haven't bought any in years- just keep using the cloves. Mary- I don't know how garlic would work for you. Here in the cold north, we plant in the fall, leave it in the ground all winter, and then harvest in summer... How would that work, with all your beautiful weather? Do you have any neighbors that grow garlic?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, Lesa! That garlic is beautiful! Nice job!!!!

I have to snicker at your comment to Nnnymary about whether or not her weather would work for garlic - Gilroy is the "garlic capital of the world" and it is just a short distance south of SF. Guess it's only funny for those of us who live out here and know how much garlic is grown here. Sheesh, I think I'm in a silly mood this morning!!! :weee :hugs :weee :ya :weee

Anyway, I'm envious of your huge bulbs. The only time I ever grew garlic my bulbs were small - I like big bulbs!!!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
See what I know, Skeeter!! I thought garlic needed a cold winter- obviously, that is not the case....They claim there is something special about the Mohawk Valley (which is where I am) that is perfect for garlic and hops...

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are there commercial growers in the Mohawk Valley? Maybe there are types that grow better with colder winters? I'm certainly no expert (as evidenced by my miserable garlic harvest last year), but I know that Gilroy doesn't have cold winters by any stretch of the imagination. I was over in that area last week and they were harvesting the galic (and lettuce, and berries, and cabbage, and broccoli, and artichokes, and a million other things) and the smell of the freshly turned earth and garlic was heavenly!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow lesa that sure is some excellent harvest of garlic!! The vampires surely won't bother you...:gig

Congrats and enjoy all that garlic in your recipes! :thumbsup

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What a haul! That is awesome! Maybe I will try some garlic this year. That is if I can remember to plant it in the fall. Your garden must be absolutely huge. All of your beautiful flowers, herbs and vegetables seem like happy campers. Nice job!