garlic(if its not an herb, its close enough)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could you clarify which seeds for me?

Also, you would want to plant garlic cloves out of the ground? Is that correct? If so, could you explain to me how you would want to do that? I grow a good amount of garlic, and may be able to answer the questions, once I understand what you'd like to do. :)

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cant u plant cloves and or seeds from garlic? i think they call the cloves sets though. my grandma gave me a couple of seeded tops to plant, but cant u also plant the cloves?

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think the confusing thing is your saying "seeds".

The preferred way to grow garlic is to take a large bulb, divide it up into individual cloves, and plant each individual clove. It then grows into another large bulb during the course of nine months.

I'm not sure why you would want to plant garlic from a garlic seed.

The "seeded tops to plant" thing I think you may be referring to is a garlic "scape", and it grows near the top of a garlic plant, looking a lot like a tiny bulb of garlic. I don't believe they would grow if you cut them off and buried them...

This is what I'm guessing, because I don't really understand your post.

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well, she said that it was garlic(its possible it was an onion), but they were seeds, just lke an onion, so is there no possible way it was garlic?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Buff Shallots is correct about the cloves.

When you take the head of garlic, you carefully separate them into cloves. Try to leave the skin intact.

Plant them about an inch deep, unless it's raining, or going to soon, then a bit deeper. Make sure they are planted with the pointy end up.

That's it! :)

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If the seeds are an irregular shape (not perfectly round) and shiny black, they may be chive, shallot or scallion seeds.

Most people don't let their allium (i.e. onion, garlic, shallot) plants develop flower stalks (which in the autumn die back into a head of seeds) because it saps energy from the underground part of the plant (which is what people want).

Planting individual cloves is the recommended way to go if you want garlic. Good luck. It's nice you want to grow something your grandmother gave you.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Garlic produces topsets that contain little bulbils. You can plant them, but it takes two years for them to produce. Plant them and let them grow, they'll form a single clove. Then plant that clove, just as you would when you regularly plant garlic, and the second season you'll get a head of garlic. A few varieties will produce in a single season, supposedly, but I've yet to see that happen.

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Garlic produces topsets that contain little bulbils. You can plant them, but it takes two years for them to produce. Plant them and let them grow, they'll form a single clove. Then plant that clove, just as you would when you regularly plant garlic, and the second season you'll get a head of garlic. A few varieties will produce in a single season, supposedly, but I've yet to see that happen.
i just 'harvested' those 'seeds' from my garlic. I'm going to plant them & see what happens :)

I'd love to grow enough garlic to keep up with my consumption of it :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some large heads can give 8 nice cloves for planting. (Eat the smaller ones.)

So, just for argument's sake, pretend you planted 1 year keepers, and ate a head a week. You would need 6-12, depending on size, heads to take cloves from to plant 48 of them, figuring from 4-8 great cloves per head.

At 4" apart, they would loosely plant in something like a 3' x 2' area, and you would harvest 48 heads next year, enough for you to consume a head per week. :)

(Mind you, how close you plant also depends upon variety, and method. I actually go 3".)