Garlic in a flowerpot

spiceofhealth

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi to everyone,

I want to plant a garlic in a large flowerpot. Any tips or help would be welcome

TNX

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know nothing about garlic but am going to try this fall to plant some. I just don't know which variety to plant. Good luck, I am sure someone will know the answer to your question.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! If the only option you have is to plant garlic in a pot- give it a try. At the very least, it will be an interesting experiment. Generally, garlic is planted in the fall, and harvested in the summer. I would think the issues of the pot/dirt freezing might be a problem, depending on your climate. Drainage would be super crucial too. The cloves will rot, otherwise. Go for it, and let us know what happens.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
there are a few varieties i've found that will tolerate wet soil. just not swampy conditions. i have Kellarney Reds growing over at the other house and the soil over there stays moist all the time. i was looking at a few other types and came across one called Italian Purple that should also do well in wet conditions. but i will have to wait and see.

garlic does like to have well fertilized soil so you want to prep the area with compost that is well rotted and ready. i'm not sure about growing them in pots left outside. i think those would likely freeze and push the bulbs up too much.

there are a couple of good places to get garlic from online or just to use as a reference on the different types you can buy. i bought from www.wegrowgarlic.com a couple years ago and they have a lot of different types to try and grow. Keene Organics is another site i've been looking at this year and i think i'm going to order from them since they have a few that WGG don't have. WGG doesn't have their prices up for the 2012 year so i'm not yet sure that they'll have what i want.

also, do a search for Gourmet Garlic Gardens. it is a listing of different garlic types and then it gives you descriptions of the different varieties that the farms working with the site currently have for sale. www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com

oh, i did have some mild success growing garlic in a large rubbermaid bin in my garage one winter. then one of my chickens found the open bin of dirt with these green things growing and ate them down to the bulbs and used the dirt for her dust bath!

bobjohnson

Sprout
Reaction score
i love garlic!

please post some photos of how you planted them and inform us how quick it grew (despite the chicken encounters!)

Adambelmont321

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Even i would also be trying to put some garlic in a pot. Will tell you how it was

Sequoia

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What types of garlic did you grow with? I planted some Elephant, Late Italian, and Spanish Roja. Never grown garlic before, but they all have 4-5" green shoots right now. They're in my new raised garden bed, which has a combination of compost and top soil.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've planted some garlic in a whiskey barrel planter on my front porch. Its full of miracle gro soil . I figured the planter is empty until spring so might as well try it

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Naughty said:
I've planted some garlic in a whiskey barrel planter
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Naughty! What a great idea! I just received some garlic bulbils in the mail before T-Day. I certainly like the idea of planting them this fall and growing them through the winter so they get some size to them before spring. Just never occurred to me to plant them that way. L O V E this site!

Love, Smart Red

Latest posts