Garlic Info

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not much of a garlic grower. We use little.

But ..! Wouldn't it be good to be educated in the types of garlic before you make the commitment to one or the other? Gardening is an adventure where, if you go down the wrong path and make a mistake, it will probably take a year to fix it!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

But ..! Wouldn't it be good to be educated in the types of garlic before you make the commitment to one or the other? Gardening is an adventure where, if you go down the wrong path and make a mistake, it will probably take a year to fix it!

I love garlic and use few hundred bulbs each year. This year I am trying 2 new varieties that I purchased and a variety I'm getting from a friend. And of course my own saved garlic from this year's harvest.
Garlic is easy to grow and so fun to harvest!
Thanks for sharing the article! I learned more varieties that I need to try 😂

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

I planted garlic in the spring, and it went alright. I just planted some more for fall planting, as they love cold weather. I should have chosen the hard neck variety or a variety pack because of the temperatures. I chose soft necks and have already planted them and covered them with straw. If it doesn't grow, I know I need to try hard neck next year.

One of my coworkers got a variety pack last year, so I know it is possible. I want to get to the point where my cooking is as from scratch as it can be. It will be healthier, and I know what went into and onto the soil to get it to that point.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ya know, I don't worry about getting COVID--had it late August and lost my sense of smell...for 2 weeks.
Not worried about having enough $--its a faith thing, you see.
BUT, I am worried about some of my garlic!
The garlic I bought locally and planted in September has sprouted and most/all are a good 8 inches tall.
The lovely HUGE garlic that @flowerbug sent me are growing. I know this bc some stupid squirrel dug a few up and I had to replant. I saw very nice roots. No tops of them.
I need to cover them with straw soon.
Whatcha think--anything I did wrong? I hand dug all soil where all garlic is growing to a spades depth and you can hand dig a hole in any of it.
Should I just assume that all of the action is happening below ground?
:barnie :th

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ya know, I don't worry about getting COVID--had it late August and lost my sense of smell...for 2 weeks.
The garlic I bought locally and planted in September has sprouted and most/all are a good 8 inches tall.
The lovely HUGE garlic that @flowerbug sent me are growing. I know this bc some stupid squirrel dug a few up and I had to replant. I saw very nice roots. No tops of them.
Whatcha think--anything I did wrong? I hand dug all soil where all garlic is growing to a spades depth and you can hand dig a hole in any of it.
I planted mine a month ago and covered them almost immediately because I don't trust the weather. So far, nothing. I would assume the action is happening beneath the ground and not expect much before the winter as growth slows down as the weather cools down, and even garlic that likes the cold.

Definitely cover it to be safe, though and hope to see something in the spring.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
In a word, yes. The cloves will be concentrating on developing strong roots before the ground freezes, to prevent them from being expelled by frost heave. This is normal behavior for garlic planted in the Fall. If garlic consistently sprouts in your area, you may want to push back your planting window... perhaps to late October / early November.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A reminder of better days, when we were growing 36 varieties of garlic. After a couple years increasing our stocks, we had made agreements with several local chefs to perform culinary trials with the next year's crop, and to record their observations. Unfortunately, that trial never happened... because we lost the garlic plot just before planting, and were unable to locate an alternate site. The entire collection was either given away or eaten. :( I've reacquired 8 of my favorites, and may go up to 10; but there are a lot of great varieties that I will miss. I lost my irreplaceable perennial onions at the same time.
2016 garlic pre-plant.jpg

Latest posts